Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have 2 hard disks and the first one is again partitioned into 4 parts in one partition Ubuntu 10.4 is Installed and in other fedora 12 is Installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

BOOTLOADER Location

Hi,

I have 2 hard disks and the first one is again partitioned into 4 parts in one partition Ubuntu 10.4 is Installed and in other fedora 12 is Installed In other 2 partition and remining another hard disk data is there. now I want to Know where exactly my grub is installed how can I see the Same What I need to do to check the Location of the GRUB i.e in which drive or partition it is Installed.

Thanks in Advance.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Check these two really good tutorials on using and configuring GRUB Legacy, and GRUB2:

GRUB bootloader - Full tutorial

GRUB 2 bootloader - Full tutorial

They should help you with pretty much anything that you'll need to know.
    oz

Linux Guru
    The tutorials ozar linked to should give you all the information you want. I'm not sure exactly what you want to know? Which one is in the master boot record?
    If you boot Ubuntu and go to the /boot/grub directory, you will see all the grub files of Ubuntu.
    If you boot Fedora and go to the /boot/grub directory, you will see all the grub files of Fedora.
    The boot screen of Fedora is very different than Ubuntu so that should tell you which you are booting from.
    The standard installation will install Grub to the mbr so usually the last system installed is on the mbr unless the user changed it.
    Not sure if this helps, I'm not sure exactly why you are looking for this information?

Just Joined!
    Hi yancek,

You are correct I want to know where exactly the Master Boot Record is Located in which Physical Drive. because I Installed ubuntu 10.4 in an External Hard Disk and I want it to work from any system I mean i will just carry this hard disk with me and In any system I will boot from it by setting the bios. but what I found is that when I am putiing it into another system it is showing GRUB Missing. but when I am putting it back to my old system it is getting grub and booting properly. It mean that grub is in my internal Hard Disk so I want to install the Grub manually for that i must know where i need to Install the GRUB in which parttion that is only my doubt.

Thaanks

Linux Guru
    You are correct I want to know where exactly the Master Boot Record is Located in which Physical Drive
    Each hard drive has a master boot record location on it and it is not part of any partition. From the information you gave in your last post, it would seem you installed Ubuntu on the external drive and its stage1 Grub file to the mbr of the internal drive. You will need to install Grub stage1 to the mbr of your external drive. For someone to advise you on how to do that, we would need to know your partition structure. You can get that info to post here with both drives attached by running the command: sudo fdisk -l (lower case Letter L in the command)

Also, if you are booting currently into Ubuntu and Fedora, after installing Ubuntu Grub to the mbr of the external disk, you will need to boot into Fedora and install its Grub to the mbr of the internal disk.