Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by yancek Do you have a Linux installation/Live CD of any kind available to you now? If so, which distribution? PCLinuxOS? Other? Can you boot your computer from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hi

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Do you have a Linux installation/Live CD of any kind available to you now?
    If so, which distribution? PCLinuxOS? Other?
    Can you boot your computer from a Linux CD, open a terminal and run the command I suggested earlier (fdisk -l)? Post the output here.
    We need to have this information to help you. Windows and Linux do not name partitions in the same way and there is no way of knowing if "G" is a primary or Extended or Logical partition. This information may be available to you from windows under My Computer, I don't know.
    I have Ubuntu, Fedora and Pclinuxos.
    Can i open a terminal without linux installed? How?
    Initially, i had C-windows-150g and D-data-200g, from that D i made another partition G that eventually became Free space which i tried to use to install linux.
    I guess the information about G beeing an extended partition is not available from windows, how can i find that?

boot up your live cd of ubuntu, it should give you option to "try without installing" you want to use this option

Linux Guru
    You put the CD in the drive, make sure the computer is set to boot from CD drive and if you use the Ubuntu CD, select try without installing. It will load to the Desktop. I don't have Ubuntu installed, but they usually have several tabs at the top of the Desktop, Applications, System, ?? Click them and read the dropdown boxes and find one that says terminal or konsole and click it and enter the command there. If you use the Ubuntu CD, you need to prefix the fdisk -l with sudo:

sudo fdisk -l

Post the output here.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

hi

Oh, well, didn't knew about that because when i choose try without install it blocks in few seconds, nothing works anymore, i have to use the reset button from my pc.

this sounds like a graphics issue, what is your graphics processor/card?

Just Joined!

hi

I have an Asus 8600 GT with 512Mb.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2