Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi My problem is that every time I try to install a version of Linux, my PC freezes(before or after creating the partitions) and just stops installing. I can't move ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy installation issue

Hi
    My problem is that every time I try to install a version of Linux, my PC freezes(before or after creating the partitions) and just stops installing. I can't move the mouse cursor and that's it. This problem occured in trying to install Ubuntu and Fedora from cd and usb.
    Thx

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure what might be causing the freezing that you refer to, but you could try using the partitioning tool in the Parted Magic LiveCD to create your partitions in advance, then when you go to install a Linux system you'll just direct the installer to use those partitions that you've already created.
    oz

Just Joined!
    i did it, still freezes.
    funny thing, i tried to install pclinuxos, everything fine till the end when i get this message: unable to copy files to new root.

Linux Guru
    Is this a Desktop or laptop?
    What hardware? very old? very new?
    Type of mouse, usb? ps2?
    Do you have any other operating systems on the computer?
    If so, what and how many?
    Partition info?

Just Joined!

hi

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Is this a Desktop or laptop?
    What hardware? very old? very new?
    Type of mouse, usb? ps2?
    Do you have any other operating systems on the computer?
    If so, what and how many?
    Partition info?
    - It's a desktop with:
    - Amd Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core, 2,11Ghz
    4Gb ram
    asus nvidia 8600 gt, 512 mb
    asus dvd-rw,
    - and i bought it about 2 years ago.
    - usb mouse
    400gb WD 7200rpm:
    C:windows xp, ntfs, 150gb
    D: data, ntfs, 180gb
    G: here i tried to install linux, 50gb
    and i partitioned like this:-8gb swap
    -25gb /
    -15gb /home

Linux Guru
    Did you verify the download of the iso on each distribution before installing?
    Can you use one of the CDs, boot it and open a terminal to get partition information. Log in as root (type su -) or with Ubuntu (type sudo) then enter the command: fdisk -l (lower case letter L), post output here.

Does your computer only freeze during your attempted installations?

Just Joined!

re

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Did you verify the download of the iso on each distribution before installing?
    Can you use one of the CDs, boot it and open a terminal to get partition information. Log in as root (type su -) or with Ubuntu (type sudo) then enter the command: fdisk -l (lower case letter L), post output here.

Does your computer only freeze during your attempted installations?
    Yes, i did with Marxio FCV.
    I'm seeing the partition info when i try to install it.
    What do you mean: only during instalation? of course, there is the problem, the instalation.
    Sometimes it stopes when i create the partitions, sometimes when i try to instal linux.

Linux Guru
    I'm seeing the partition info when i try to install it.
    You posted some partition information you got from windows, C/ ,D/ , G/ which doesn't mean anything in Linux. They are windows references to partitions. I'm a little confused by this:
    G: here i tried to install linux, 50gb
    and i partitioned like this:-8gb swap
    -25gb /
    -15gb /home
    G is just the windows name for a partition and you indicate that you are trying to create three Linux partitions within this partition. Is the "G" and extended partition in which you are trying to create logical partitions to hold data? The numbering/labelling of partitions is not the same as windows. It would be useful if you posted what partitions you actually have created.

I asked if your computer only freezes during the installation because the information you posted earlier indicates you have a windows system. Do you have freezes on windows? Since you checked the iso with Marxio FCV, I assume your xp is still functioning?

Just Joined!
    well, in windows i have those 3 partitions. When i tried to install linux i used that G partition and formated it like this:
    -8 gb swap
    -25 gb ext4 / root
    -15 gb ext 4 /home.
    I have win on C and i have no problem with it. Yes, xp is still working.

Linux Guru
    Do you have a Linux installation/Live CD of any kind available to you now?
    If so, which distribution? PCLinuxOS? Other?
    Can you boot your computer from a Linux CD, open a terminal and run the command I suggested earlier (fdisk -l)? Post the output here.
    We need to have this information to help you. Windows and Linux do not name partitions in the same way and there is no way of knowing if "G" is a primary or Extended or Logical partition. This information may be available to you from windows under My Computer, I don't know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast