Find the answer to your Linux question:
Here's my little problem. I tried to install Ubuntu 10.10 from the Live CD on Acer L100 desktop today. I downloaded and burnt the CD about three weeks ago and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oxf
    Linux Newbie

Unable to install, Drive doesn't want to read Live CD

Here's my little problem.

I tried to install Ubuntu 10.10 from the Live CD on Acer L100 desktop today. I downloaded and burnt the CD about three weeks ago and installed on my laptop without problems. But on the desktop it wont install. This is what happens:

More than half the time it doesnt want to read the CD at all. It starts to load GRUB and boots my existing installation Ubuntu (Karmic). When it does manage to start to boot from the CD I get to the initial language selection and then chose to either run from the Live CD/install. Then it quits reading the CD and the drive winds down.

This lead me to think its the CD drive at fault. However it seems to function fine for other purposes. I also had no trouble installing Karmic on it before. I just tried putting the Karmic CD in and it wont read that either now.

Any sugestions how to sort this out?

Thanks

Linux Guru
    Might check the cable connections to the CD dirve or clean the lens?

oxf
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Might check the cable connections to the CD dirve or clean the lens?
    Yes good point. Cables seem OK and I ran the lens cleaning disk. Still wont read it though.
    I did a few more tests.

Musics CD's/Videos all play fine. Also reads storage CD's OK.
    I tried running the Karmic Live CD and it read and booted from that OK (cleaning helped perhaps???)
    Inserted the Maveric CD again. Wont read it!

Then tried the Maveric CD in my laptop and it reads OK.

So is it something about the Maveric Live CD and a particularly sensitive drive in my desktop? I'm stumped. If need be I can always install from a USB but still would prefer to get to the bottom of it. install from the CD.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close