Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello World! I have stumbled up around many problems in the past weeks, and recently my windows server is just giving me big pain with the DNS. Instead of having ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post [SERVER] Transfer from Windows to Linux

Hello World!

I have stumbled up around many problems in the past weeks, and recently my windows server is just giving me big pain with the DNS. Instead of having constant trouble trying to fix those problems that doesn't stop coming. I am trying to find the opportunity to transfer my settings onto a Linux setup.

My needs are pretty simple, I am currently creating a simple website for a school project that I need to finish fairly soon. I also need to attach it to a forum, most likely phpBB3.

My first question would be: Which OS should I opt for. CentOS, SUSE, Ubuntu Server? Should I add in features into that to make my transfer simpler? Secondly, what would be the website manager, Apache or IIS? Is php easily compatible with the systems, or will it need configuration somehow? Finally, can it be possible for me to install programs that are exclusive to windows, such as Dreamweaver?

I appreciate the help, I got a small knowledge on Linux systems, but I am completely new to the server side!

Hello filozophik and welcome to the forums!

My first LAMP server was built on Ubuntu Desktop Edition. Since then, Ubuntu server edition has become the way to go. There are a lot of good easy to follow instructions on the net for how to do what you are wanting. This may be a good place to start. Be cautioned though... Linux is not Windows! It's going to take time for you to get used to doing things the Linux way. I wish you good luck!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply!

I have done as you said and created a LAMP Server under Ubuntu Server Edition 10.10. I am however having alot of trouble setting up a GUI, such as Webmin, and it just made me even more confused. I was wondering, before going any further, if I hosting my works on the desktop edition rather than the server one would be more convenient, thanks for the presence of a GUI, or is there a more stable version of Ubuntu Server that I should prioritize because it assures compatibility with any components I attempt to install?

Congratulations! Setting up an Ubuntu server is an accomplishment for someone never having done it! For your first Linux server, a "GUI" may be necessary until you develop your command line skills however, it is more secure to run your server without one. I would install X windows with a minimal window manager instead of a full fledged Desktop environment like Gnome. OpenBox is a good choice for this but expect it to be very minimal. See this page for the whole story.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Congratulations! Setting up an Ubuntu server is an accomplishment for someone never having done it! For your first Linux server, a "GUI" may be necessary until you develop your command line skills however, it is more secure to run your server without one. I would install X windows with a minimal window manager instead of a full fledged Desktop environment like Gnome. OpenBox is a good choice for this but expect it to be very minimal.
    Wow, I never expected that to happen!

I have done as you said, but I opted for a ubuntu desktop since I wasn't able to make OpenBox work. i have also included Webmin to administrate the server from distance, I don't know if that was a good move, yet it still works well.

I just have this problem showing my website, for some reasons, the template I've created for my pages does not display when the page is published, can there be some kind of permission I did not allow?

Is there any chance to connect to the Ubuntu Server from a Windows OS?

I believe with this, I am set to work diligently. Thanks alot!