Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I was wondering if there is a way to specify a newer, different kernel to be installed during the initial linux installation process. i.e. kernel version x.y.y is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using another kernel version during installation

Hi guys, I was wondering if there is a way to specify a newer, different kernel to be installed during the initial linux installation process.

i.e. kernel version x.y.y is included in the installation, but I want the system to have kernel version x.y.z to be installed instead.

I have the rpm for the new kernel, either in a usb stick or a cd rom. is there any way that I can go about it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by terry84 View Post
    Hi guys, I was wondering if there is a way to specify a newer, different kernel to be installed during the initial linux installation process.

i.e. kernel version x.y.y is included in the installation, but I want the system to have kernel version x.y.z to be installed instead.

I have the rpm for the new kernel, either in a usb stick or a cd rom. is there any way that I can go about it?
    You should be able to use one of the remastering tools that are available to remaster your installation disk so that it includes the newer kernel.
    oz

I would just do the install and then update the kernel later....who knows, maybe the kernel you seek will be one of the updates that your system needs.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Hi guys, thanks for the help. Does that mean that I can't specify a new kernal to be installed during the initial setup using the ISO that I downloaded?

As mentioned by Ozar, you could remaster an ISO and try that, but as far as starting the installer and pointing it at another kernel...I don't think that will happen during the course of a "normal" install. Why can't you just install the ISO and then upgrade the kernel from there?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Hmm ok. I was tasked to find out if there was any way in which we could do this as the stock kernel that was provided had some graphical issues that causes problem upon booting, unless the xorg.conf was modified.
    The newer kernel had no problem, so we were thinking if there is a way to include it in the installation.

Guess I got my answer. Thanks anyway guys.

Editing xorg.conf seems very trivial compared to kernel upgrading...maybe you should stick with that since you know it works.