Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey everyone, I've been trying to install Linux Ubuntu v10.10 on my home desktop. I've edited the settings on my BIOS screen so that it searches for disks first, USB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Problems with Live CD/USB

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to install Linux Ubuntu v10.10 on my home desktop. I've edited the settings on my BIOS screen so that it searches for disks first, USB next, and then hard drive for Live CD's/Operating systems. I've prepared a partition for Ubuntu. Yet, nothing seems to work. The live CD and USB (I'm trying both to see if either would work) are not being recognized at startup. I've made sure to properly follow burning instructions on both the USB and CD. Does anyone have any idea on what I could do to fix my computer?

I'm using a Medion MD8800 with Windows Vista fully updated, with no hardware upgrades.

Thanks,
    Hellomoto.

oz
    forum.guy
    If the iso files are being properly burned, I'm not sure why the installs are not working. Another option that you could look at that works for most users would be UNetbootin:

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads
    oz

Just Joined!
    I tried. Still doesn't work. I've asked a friend to burn a CD for me, to see if it's my computer's problem, or my CD/USB. I won't get it for another 3 days though, as he's really busy. I have a feeling though it's my computer's problem.

Is there some way to force the computer to boot from CD? That might be able to work.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. 2 years ago I tried installing Linux on this computer. It didn't work then, but the same CD worked on another computer.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellomoto121 View Post
    Is there some way to force the computer to boot from CD? That might be able to work.
    If it won't boot from CD when changed to do so in the system BIOS settings, I don't think there is any way to force a CD boot, especially if the BIOS is not finding the MBR on the media itself.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    If it won't boot from CD when changed to do so in the system BIOS settings, I don't think there is any way to force a CD boot, especially if the BIOS is not finding the MBR on the media itself.
    Thought so. I figured I might as well ask. Hopefully, someone knows a way I could fix this problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

I tried. Still doesn't work. I've asked a friend to burn a CD for me, to see if it's my computer's problem, or my CD/USB. I won't get it for another 3 days though, as he's really busy. I have a feeling though it's my computer's problem.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. 2 years ago I tried installing Linux on this computer. It didn't work then, but the same CD worked on another computer.
    You tried Unetbootin? Please explain how it did not work, this awesome little tool works in Windows too, so theres always that option.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Thought so. I figured I might as well ask. Hopefully, someone knows a way I could fix this problem. Has anyone else had this problem?
    You are certain that you changed the boot order? Did you go back into the BIOS and verify that it actually made the changes you requested? It's also possible that the CD/DVD drive itself does not support booting.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    1. It successfully installed the ISO on the USB, but for some reason, the computer didn't recognize it at startup

2. Certain. I checked it this morning, and it was still in the same configuration I had set it before, which was:
    USB
    CD
    Hard Drive
    Other

I know someone else with the same computer. I'll try it on theirs, to see if it recognizes the CD. I probably won't be able to do that until the morning though.

That sounds like a decent enough plan. Don't forget, it could be a BIOS update too.

Just Joined!
    I tried it on their computer. It didn't work. I'll try another Live CD and see if that one works.

EDIT: It works. So it's a problem with the CD I made.
    Last edited by Hellomoto121; 11-13-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast