Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a 320gb USB hard drive, one partition for my files, one for playing Wii games, and one which I would like to use for an Ubuntu instillation. To ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] Boot from a separate external partition?

I have a 320gb USB hard drive, one partition for my files, one for playing Wii games, and one which I would like to use for an Ubuntu instillation.

To do this, I partitioned my disk accordingly using Windows, then booted from the Ubuntu CD to install the OS to my external hard drive partition. It asked me where I wanted to install the boot loader, so I selected the hard drive itself, rather than the specific partition, reasoning that it would scan the hard drive for a boot record.

However, when I booted it (with USB boot selected) it simply said "No Operating System found, replace system disk and press enter" or something similar.

Where have I gone wrong with getting this to work?

Thanks in advance,
    Laurence

Are you sure you selected the correct drive during the installation? The bootloader should go to the device, sdb or whichever, and not to a partition. I would try reinstalling, or you could specifically reinstall grub2. Google should turn up detailed instructions for doing that.

Just Joined!
    Yup, I installed the bootloader to the drive itself (sdb) rather than the partition with the OS on (sdb 2 or something). Does it make a difference that Ubuntu is installed to a partition near the end of the drive?

Thanks for your help

Hi and Welcome !

We have to check partition structure of your Hard disk.
    Boot up from Ubuntu LiveCD and execute this in Terminal
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Post output here.

* It's small L in fdisk -l.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

No, it shouldn't matter which partition Ubuntu is on. Grub should find it. You can try reinstalling grub, or do a complete reinstall. Something went wrong, and with a new install it's quicker to just redo it.

Linux User
    "No Operating System found, replace system disk and press enter"
    Is an error being reported by the bios. Would suggest having a look in bios setup. On some comps not only must you select to boot USB but under usb setting there might be a selection 'enable legacy boot' or some wording, enable it.

A look at fdisk as devils casper requested could help if your partition setup is bad.

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot for your help but I have found out why there was a problem: my BIOS is able to boot from a USB flash drive but not a USB hard drive for some reason... I tried it on my newer laptop, and that coped fine.