Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi. FIrst sorry if i put in wrong section, but i couldnt find general help. My problem: I was using linux(mint) about 6 months without problem, then after a 2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

all linux crash on my laptop

Hi.
    FIrst sorry if i put in wrong section, but i couldnt find general help.

My problem:
    I was using linux(mint) about 6 months without problem, then after a 2 months break i installed linux mint again, but everytime it crashed after a few hours(like 2-5 hours). So i tried to install linux mint debian but it crashed during installation, so tried openSuse and ubuntu but both the same result-everytime crash after a few hours. (it crashes when browsing internet, writing in gedit,watching movie...just everytime it crash no matter what i do)

Temperatures are ok, i checked RAM with memtest, also S.M.A.R.T but seems OK. I have dualboot with windows 7 and windows doesnt crash like this, it can run days without crash.

I am quite new to linux so i would appreciate any help how to check where is the problem and fix it.

my laptop is ASUS n61-vn

// when it crash i have to hold down power button, or alt+sysrq+reisub
    Last edited by illm; 11-22-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Just Joined!
    Can't really say for sure. I would check what type of video card you have in it and google it. I know intel video cards have a lot of problems with linux. If it's happening with every version of linux that's where I'd start.

Webby

Just Joined!
    video card is nvidia gt240M, i tried with some default driver, also with official nvidia driver, but with bot crash
    also i searched in google but no such problem

Linux Guru
    In your first post, you say you used Mint with no problems for 6 months. Then you took a two month break...? What does that mean? Did you just not use Mint? Did you overwrite its partition? Did you reinstall later the same version of Mint or a new version? On the same partition? Different partition?

Crash is a pretty vague term. Does your computer just shutdown? Does it lockup or freeze?

Just Joined!
    thanks for reply, during the "break" i was using windows7, later i reinstalled windows so it overwrote GRUB and i couldnt boot linux so i decided to reinstall it, not to make grub rescue. It was the same version of mint as before. (if i remember right). I installed it on the same partition, but i formated disk during instalation

about crash:
    computer just freeze, screen doesnt change, keybord isnt responding, i can move with mouse, but cant clicking(but touchpad isnt responding too as keybord), and fan is running, and if i listened music, after crash it still play

Quote Originally Posted by illm View Post
    thanks for reply, during the "break" i was using windows7, later i reinstalled windows so it overwrote GRUB and i couldnt boot linux so i decided to reinstall it, not to make grub rescue. It was the same version of mint as before. (if i remember right). I installed it on the same partition, but i formated disk during instalation
    I'm not wanting to butt in, so tell me to butt out if you like -- no offense taken. But my Qestion #1 is:

Do you want to get rid of Windows completely on the hard drive in question? If so, please tell me/us.

Just Joined!
    i am afraid i dont understand your reply. if you or anybody didnt understand my post, just tell me, my english sucks
    anyway i ofcourse dont want to get rid of windows neither completly nor partially

Just Joined!
    I googled your laptop and the problem. It appears at one time there was an issue with that particular video card, but it seems to have been resolved. I don't know what else to offer other than to wipe the hard drive and try reinstalling everything. It seems strange that it worked for six months and now it won't. Almost makes you wonder if something was written somewhere on the hard drive that doesn't work with linux. What that could be is beyond me. That may not be anything either. I'll do some more searching to see what I can find.

Just Joined!
    yeah, i wanted too somehow completly format whole hdd and reinstall everything, but i dont know what tool i can use for it...also i dont know if it would help

i hoped that there are some error logging messages in linux and i can figure from them where is the problem...but as i said i am linux newbie, so i appreciate any help with this

Linux Guru
    The symtoms you describe in your first post often relate to an overheating processor but, since you don't have the problems on windows, that is not likely the problem.

After overwriting the master boot record when reinstalling windows, you could have used a program called EasyBCD from neosmart technologies to boot your Linux installation. Might consider that for the future if you are more familiar with windows.
    It is a free download and can be used for vista or windows 7.

Seems a little odd that the same distribution that worked for 6 months would stop working? Did you make any hardware changes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast