Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I have a PC (a new one: CPU - E7500, RAM - 4G) on which I've installed the CentOS. After installation i've also run yum update (and installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Centos running slow

Hi there,

I have a PC (a new one: CPU - E7500, RAM - 4G) on which I've installed the CentOS. After installation i've also run yum update (and installed the updates). The thing is that this new PC is running very slow comparing with another one an old one wihth the same configuration. I've tested it by unzipping the same file on both computers. The old one is 5 times faster than the newer one. Any ideas why? What i missed out? Where should i start to look?
    Thanks.

Check the output of the top command, look for processes that are using too much RAM or CPU.
    Code:
    Use the Free command....see how much RAM/SWAP is being used.
    Code:
    free
    Does the newer machine had video drivers installed? Which video card is it using?
    Code:
    lspci |grep -i VGA
    Is the disk full? Use the df command to check
    Code:
    df -h
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    checked:
    - there are no unwanted processes running on the machine
    - used RAM up to 900M out of 3.6G (total RAM 4G but some are used by the on-board video card)
    - disk usage - nothing on the disk except OS (HDD capacity 300G)
    - the VGA is: intel corporation 4 series chipset integrated graphics controller rev 03
    - MB chipset G41

i really don't have a clue where the problem is...

About the only thing I can think of is the video driver, if your machine is using the Mesa driver, that might slow it down some. Have you tried to fsck the drive?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    I think i may have found a solution. The solution is: Ubuntu . I've looked over the internet and found out that there are a lot of issues with this Intel G41 Chipset on Centos. And as you, MikeTbob, said there may be a video driver problem as I noticed that the mouse pointer was not moving smooth at all and also if something was running in the same time (as a gzip) the interface was stuck entirely - even there was a lot of memory available and the CPU was up to 70%. I tried to change the drivers for video card, but as this is an onboard card is pretty difficult to find the right driver.
    So i decided to install Ubuntu and see if the problem persists. Until now everything is running very well and I have none of the issues that i had on Centos. I will do more tests tomorrow.
    Thanks MikeTbob for your help.

You're quiet Welcome. Glad you got it sorted out. Feel free to mark this thread as solved whenever you see fit to do so.