Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello to fellow Linux fans, I have been playing around with Linux Fedora 14 for a while but would like to expand my skills. I am running Fedora 14 on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing 2nd o/s on usb hard drive.

Hello to fellow Linux fans,

I have been playing around with Linux Fedora 14 for a while but would like to expand my skills. I am running Fedora 14 on a usb drive connected to my laptop via an e-sata connection. I have approx. 165 gig of space on the drive at present and I would like to dual-boot with Suse 11.3 and to this end would be pleased to receive any advice and help if possible to achieve this. I am hoping a more experienced user could help me. I have set-up my bios to boot via my usb hard drive. If possible I would like to show my available o/s when I boot my fedora setup. I am probably not explaining this very well but basically I want to be able to run the 2 linux o/s from my usb drive. Any help most gratefully received. Please tell me if I am being too ambitious.

Linux Guru
    If you have your laptop BIOS set to boot from the USB hard drive as first boot priority, then you can just install Opensuse to the hard drive. You will need to know how the drive is seen so get your drive/partition information using the fdisk command as root so you install to the corrrect drive/partition. You will need to decide which bootloader to use, Opensuse or Fedora. During the installation you will need to be watchful during the installation of the bootloader so you do not install it to the internal drive. You get these options in Yast during Opensuse install. If you install Opensuse Grub to the mbr of the external, it will probably detect Fedora and put an entry in the boot menu for you.

If you want to use Fedora Grub, install Opensuse Grub to its root partition during install, then you will need to make a manual entry in the Fedora grub.conf for Opensuse.