Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I have Ubuntu Linux on my machine with kernel version 2.6.31. I tried compiling kernel 2.6.36 to upgrade. I had some problem while making initrd image. Had following ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Kernel compilation Issue - Display Driver Problem

Hi All,

I have Ubuntu Linux on my machine with kernel version 2.6.31. I tried compiling kernel 2.6.36 to upgrade. I had some problem while making initrd image. Had following Warnings :-

mohitdhingras = mohitdhingras -laptop:~$ sudo mkinitramfs -o initrd.img-2.6.36 2.6.36

It is showing warnings like :-
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/2.6.36/radeon/RV610_me. bin for module radeon
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/2.6.36/radeon/RV610_pfp. bin for module radeon
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/2.6.36/radeon/R600_me. bin for module radeon
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/2.6.36/radeon/R600_pfp. bin for module radeon

Other inputs from my side :

1. initrd image file is being made with few warnings as i mentioned earlier :-
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/2.6.36/radeon/RV610_me . bin for module radeon

But, the size of this image is 74.7 MB, while of my previous initrd image (2.6.31) was of only 7 MB.

2. vmcoreinfo file for 2.6.37 is missing.

vmcoreinfo-2.6.31-14-generic is present in /boot folder.

But I was able to run Linux in command line interface, in recovery mode. But when I select normal version, it comes till login screen and I am able to hear boot up sound, but then it shows garbled screen. I guess there is some problem with display driver only. My Display card is of ATI Radeon. And, it was showing the same related warning messages only while making initrd image.

Is it possible to use the same drivers, already available for kernel 2.6.31, in 2.6.36. If yes, how ? Or else what could be done?

Thanks & Regards,
    Mohit Dhingra

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    1. There were MAJOR changes between 2.6.31 and 2.6.32 or later kernels. This is not something you want to do without REALLY good reasons to do so.
    2. Without knowing what your kernel configuration is, and what options you built it with, one cannot say why the new image is so big.
    3. Read the FAQ's and Wikis on the Ubuntu web site for information about building custom kernels. They are usually quite thorough and will tell you what you need to do to build and install a new kernel.
    4. If you make this big a kernel upgrade, you will also have to upgrade ALL system libraries, drivers, and possibly applications before you get a running system. This is NOT a minor update/upgrade!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!