Find the answer to your Linux question:
Basically im sick and tired of widows at work - and since im the IT manager its time to fix the problem I have been running linux @ home now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Server Hardware

Basically im sick and tired of widows at work - and since im the IT manager its time to fix the problem

I have been running linux @ home now for a number of months with n hassel and have got samba and webmin all going.

I want to create a linux File Server and Email Server (Same box) This is what i have

p3 550
    Ram 256 SDRAM (but going to max out to 1gig)
    1x 20gig HD (Operating system and Email)
    2 x 36gig 10000rpm SCSI (Raid 0)
    netwrok and all the other junk

Is this enough to serve as a decent file server??

Going to be about 14 users at same time (Thats why windows does not do the job)

Or am i conpletely wrong and there is not enough in the harware to run the file server

Any suggestions would be helpful thanks

Linux Guru
    I can't see how that could _not_ be enough hardware. How busy is this system if it can't handle 14 users? A 550 MHz CPU with 256 MB RAM should be able to handle a lot more than just 14 users, as I see it. Are you sure that it isn't just a network congestion? In any other case, Windows _really_ sucks. Not that that would be any news, but this would be an entirely new definition of sucking.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the help

Yes i have thought it could have been network congection - so i started pricing gigabit network switches and network cards.

Will putting another network card in the computer and running dual 100mbs have any effect at all???

Linux Guru
    Hard to say in advance without proper diagnosics... Try it and see.