Find the answer to your Linux question:
Originally Posted by devils casper grub-install /dev/sda command will install GRUB in MBR of harddisk and its best way to setup dual boot imho. if you are using Windows Boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub is missing

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    grub-install /dev/sda command will install GRUB in MBR of harddisk and its best way to setup dual boot imho.
    if you are using Windows Boot Loader, install GRUB in the boot sector of / (root) or /boot partition.
    Code:
    grub-install /dev/sda<partition_number>
    i suggest you to install GRUB in MBR only.
    I have the same problem as the author of the topic. I already googled on it a lot, but still cannot find the solution. I had a Mandriva 2007 installed and I try to recover GRUB menu booting from the Ubuntu 10.10 live CD. Most people suggest the command "sudo grub", but I tells me "Command not found". With the suggestion above I don't know where is my MBR? Grub is inside the boot directory on one of the partitions. Is this the MBR? If I still try it, I get:

/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?)

Where do I go from here? Thanks in advance.

Hello and Welcome.
    I moved your post here into it's own thread for better exposure.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by silin View Post
    I have the same problem as the author of the topic. I already googled on it a lot, but still cannot find the solution. I had a Mandriva 2007 installed and I try to recover GRUB menu booting from the Ubuntu 10.10 live CD. Most people suggest the command "sudo grub", but I tells me "Command not found". With the suggestion above I don't know where is my MBR? Grub is inside the boot directory on one of the partitions. Is this the MBR? If I still try it, I get:

/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?)

Where do I go from here? Thanks in advance.
    Welcome to the forums!

The latest versions of Ubuntu use GRUB2 where as Mandriva from 2007 would have used GRUB Legacy, and the two versions of GRUB are not compatible. You can find SuperGRUB live disks for both versions of GRUB (or use SuperGRUB from the Parted Magic LiveCD) and that should work to restore GRUB to the MBR if that's what you are wanting to do.

At one time, Mandriva used LILO for the bootloader, but that might have changed since I used it last about 8 years ago (when it was still called Mandrake).
    oz