Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi Guys, At the moment I have winxp on one of my partitions and Ubuntu on another one. What I wanted to know is. is it possible for me to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] installing a second or third distro

Hi Guys,
    At the moment I have winxp on one of my partitions and Ubuntu on another one. What I wanted to know is. is it possible for me to install a second or third Linux distro on my hard drives. Do I boot up in the Ubuntu system, and then install the next distro. Or do I boot up from the cd bootup and start installing it from there. Will the grub bootup allow another linux didtro on it. I am definitly a Noob, but I am still trying to enjoy a new outlook with the Linux system.

All the best.

Lucky

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckyjfl View Post
    Or do I boot up from the cd bootup and start installing it from there. Will the grub bootup allow another linux didtro on it. I am definitly a Noob, but I am still trying to enjoy a new outlook with the Linux system.

All the best.

Lucky
    Yes, that's the way to do it and you can install as many distros as your drive will hold. Keep in mind that the more you install, the more headaches you might encounter with trying to keep it all updated, and keeping things from breaking.

Hope you'll enjoy your multi-boot adventure.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckyjfl View Post
    Hi Guys,
    At the moment I have winxp on one of my partitions and Ubuntu on another one. What I wanted to know is. is it possible for me to install a second or third Linux distro on my hard drives. Do I boot up in the Ubuntu system, and then install the next distro. Or do I boot up from the cd bootup and start installing it from there. Will the grub bootup allow another linux didtro on it. I am definitly a Noob, but I am still trying to enjoy a new outlook with the Linux system.

All the best.

Lucky
    I have xp,Ubuntu,and Mint on my hard drive I booted off from the cd to install the third the only thing is the last install will be on the top of your boot loader.

Yes, indeed you can install many OSs.
    I read an article about someone who had installed as many as 157 (I think it was that much) just to see how many he could do!
    The GRUB works nicely for all, but just to remember if wanting to install a few different Windows versions as well as different linuxes, do the linuxes last. Wo=indows has a tendency not to "see" other OSs.
    Also, hard drives can only have 4 primary partitions. Anything more than that have to be logical partitions. All of this can be a little tricky if you are not familiar with partitioning.

I have got Win XP, Win 7 32bit, Win 7 64bit, Ubuntu 32bit, Ubunut 64bit all installed in their own partitions, and running perfectly (although one can have many arguments as to whether one could use that word in the same sentence as Windows!).
    My installs are for a University security project, and for the same reasons as mentioned above (updating, etc), I would not recommend too many.

Let's face it though, games don't run well or at all unless you are running Windows. So at home, I do everything with Ubuntu 64bit as my normal everyday OS, and when I want to play Team Fortress 2, I just reboot into Windows for a few hours.
    Doing it this way helps me keep my work very seperate from my play.

Cheers and enjoy.

Linux Newbie
    I deleted windoz a few months ago but couldn't get some games to work in wine so I put xp back on. but now I can't get the sound to work in Windoz.

Quote Originally Posted by electroman6913 View Post
    I deleted windoz a few months ago but couldn't get some games to work in wine so I put xp back on. but now I can't get the sound to work in Windoz.
    You will probably need to get the mobo audio drivers from the manufacturers website.
    If it worked once before, then it will work again, just needs the instructions to tell it how.

Linux Newbie
    yah I hav a evga nforce 780I mainbord I tried to download drivers from their site and all I get are Video drivers and network drivers

Quote Originally Posted by electroman6913 View Post
    yah I hav a evga nforce 780I mainbord I tried to download drivers from their site and all I get are Video drivers and network drivers
    Bugger!
    Could be time to "upgrade" from unsupported XP to the newer version of Win 7.
    It has many more drivers, etc, included in the OS. It may recognise your system natively, eliminating the need for externally-sourced drivers.
    What a pity that games 'only' run on Windows.
    Fixing this games thing with a perfect emulation system (like Wine) would be the "killer app" that finally inhumes Windows.

Only thing with Windoze is that you have to pay exorbitant licence fees.

Just Joined!
    I too deleted Doze from my main machine after many months of never selecting it at boot time. I don't play games, so backing up the data and the few programs that absolutely refuse to run under WINE work just fine using Virtualbox. Haven't run into any sound issues with it.

Just Joined!
    Brilliant. Thanks a lot Guys for all the help. Like many other PC Addicts , I just want to tryout the different Distros and probably choose the best or the fastest. Its fantastic to be able to actually try them all without paying the prices Micro wants.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast