Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
So I was trying to figure out a little bit ago how to reset the bios password and so I followed this tutorial, well the link isn't allowed but anyway ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Ubuntu netbook on Acer Aspire One With No os

So I was trying to figure out a little bit ago how to reset the bios password and so I followed this tutorial, well the link isn't allowed but anyway it was on how to flash the bios password, which seemed to work, everything that the tutorial was talking about went as planned.
    So I get done with this stuff and then after it reboots or whatever the screen says "remove disks or other media" and below that it says "press any key to restart", so I removed the pen drive and it said a couple things, it came up with some things I hadn't seen before like ethernet version whatever etc and then it said media error insert boot disc, which I expected it to say. So I turned it off and hit f2 to go into the bios but it still asks for a password? So i redid the whole process and am now at the screen where it says remove disks or other media, press any key to restart. I have the whole Linux netbook edition thing on a 2 gb sd card. So can someone walk me through from here asap? Thanks a lot!

My Acer Aspire One ZG5 won't boot from a SD Flash drive unless I use a USB to SD adapter. The Bios on mine won't boot from the card reader slot. Cuz Acer bios sux. it just recognizes the USB ports as bootable.

My EEEPCs do not have that problem though.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    My Acer Aspire One ZG5 won't boot from a SD Flash drive unless I use a USB to SD adapter. The Bios on mine won't boot from the card reader slot. Cuz Acer bios sux. it just recognizes the USB ports as bootable.

My EEEPCs do not have that problem though.
    Ok well luckly for me I have that adaptor... so what should I do? Like I said I'm at remove disks or other media, any key to restart what do I do know? Can someone seriously help me please? I need help from this screen on.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Gee. Use the bios key to change boot order. Boot from Ububtu Netbook on Pendrive. Simple as that.

Edit: I'm not on my Acer right now but it runs Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook just fine,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

To change boot order press the F2 or F12 key after power on.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    So F12? Boot order is f12 but after I do that it says something like, well this (and this is using the sd card with ubuntu in a usb adaptor, which btw comes up in the menu as usb hdd generic usb sd reader)
    "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM
    No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

Just Joined!
    To change boot order press the F2 or F12 key after power on.
    F2 requires me to enter a password, which it shouldn't or maybe its a default pswd or something because I Did the flash bios password thing, which I installed on a pen drive.

This is beginning to sound fishy to me. Not having a bios password? I am leaving this thread. bye.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    This is beginning to sound fishy to me. Not having a bios password? I am leaving this thread. bye.
    ? What are you talking about, I bought it on craigslist not knowing about this problem, which from what I read isn't a hard fix. So your suggesting I stole this laptop? I can tell i did not. I just need some help. Besides a lot of people (not me though) have their bios password randomly changed, that is a problem on Acer's, so its not that fishy. Half the poing of this thread was to say I flashed the bios thing, and it appears to not have worked...

Quote Originally Posted by jakers91 View Post
    ? What are you talking about, I bought it on craigslist not knowing about this problem, which from what I read isn't a hard fix. So your suggesting I stole this laptop? I can tell i did not. I just need some help. Besides a lot of people (not me though) have their bios password randomly changed, that is a problem on Acer's, so its not that fishy. Half the poing of this thread was to say I flashed the bios thing, and it appears to not have worked...
    3. No posts regarding illegal activities (cracking, warez, etc)
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ums-rules.html

I am not suggesting nothing. If bought on Craigslist. Contact seller maybe for password.
    Bios cracking, passwords, falls under rule 3. I sympathize with your situation. I have bought a corporate resell Desktop with a bios lockout and no way to correspond for the password.
    All I can say is Google was my friend in this.

All I will advise on installing Ubuntu Netbook on Acer Aspire One which I have done. I won't touch the bios protected password part. Nuff said.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast