Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hello all sorry for my english i have acer 5741 laptop befor i have linux on it but later changed it to windows 7 now i want return to linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

plz help

hello all

sorry for my english

i have acer 5741 laptop

befor i have linux on it but later changed it to windows 7 now i want return to linux

but i dont know becouse im verry new in linux world

plz which software i can use for my acer 5741

and if any one know also the download link

many thanks

According to the Linux Laptop Wiki your laptop should encounter no problems.

Before you can install, you'll need to get hold of an install CD or DVD - it's best to download the .iso file of your chosen distribution, burn it to disk and boot from it. When you install, select the options to remove the existing system - you'll probably be fine selecting the default hard disk partition layout.

If you don't know which Linux to install, take a look at Distrowatch and see if you can find the one you're familir with. There are links from there to the sites for all the major distributions where you can download their own .iso files.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    thanks too much for helping

Any Distro with an LXDE window manager, for lower CPU/GPU demand.

Just Joined!

Ubuntu linux best supports most of the hardware

you can select Ubuntu 9.04 or 10.04 lts

download the installation from
    releases.ubuntu.com for 9.04
    get-ubuntu.com for 10.04 lts (latest lts version)

burn a cd and use wubi inside if you don't have the free partition and ofcourse if you want to also keep your windows 7 working

enjoy......

Quote Originally Posted by technocp View Post
    you can select Ubuntu 9.04 or 10.04 lts

download the installation from
    releases.ubuntu.com for 9.04
    get-ubuntu.com for 10.04 lts (latest lts version)

burn a cd and use wubi inside if you don't have the free partition and ofcourse if you want to also keep your windows 7 working

enjoy......
    While Ubuntu is renown as an excellent distribution, there are others that are equally as good, and support the same hardware in the same way. We find it is more productive to encourage our visitors to try more than one distribution, rather than one's own personal favourite, because we can never guarantee that another users needs are the same as our own.

Just Joined!
    Thanks again

I downloaded parsix and i chosed. Install and it asked me ..use and password. .i did and started copying the files. After finished i restarted my PC ..after repoot
    it asking me the username and password. I did but every time it telling me not correct.
    What i have to do and I'm sure the user and pass is correct.

Plaza is there simple way I'm very. New in Linux and i like and hope to be my system

Sorry again for my English

Thanks

Sent via my huawei android mobile

Your password will be case sensitive, check that you're entering it in the right case.

Is it possible to retry the install? I suggested downloading and burning a CD or DVD, then if it all went wrong you'd have the media to try again.

Can you log in on a text console? I'm not familiar with parsix, but if you do CTRL-ALT-F2 or F3, you should get a text mode login. What happens if you try the username and password you set up in there?

Linux User
    Carrying on in the same vain as @Roxoff:
    Before choosing a final distribution to install, most distros have a live cd or usb version which allows you to try before installing.
    Most will will fit on a 2gig usb pen drive and give you similar features as the full version.
    I suggest you try a few before installing.

As a final piece of advice:
    Partition your hard drive with swap partition, around 8 gig or so for the root (/) partition and the rest for /home.
    This way, if you decide to upgrade or change distros, your data remains untouched on /home.

Good luck.

Welcome to the forums.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast