Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am planning to install Linux on my computer but I do not know which version to install. The details about my PC are : Operating System Name : ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which version of Linux to use on Windows7

Hi
    I am planning to install Linux on my computer but I do not know which version to install. The details about my PC are :

Operating System Name : Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (build 7600), 64-bit
    Version : 6.1
    Build Number : 7600
    Service Pack :
    Common Controls Version : 5.82

Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66 GHz
    RAM : 2 GB

1. Please provide me with useful links for download and installation about the Linux version you suggest.

2. Windows is installed in drive C: and I plan to use dual boot, so should I repartition C: (if possible without losing data... pls tell me) or should I install it in another volume.

3. Also which option for architecture should I choose from i386 or ia64 or another if I install Debian GNU/Linux.

Your inputs would really help me as a beginner.

Regards
    Arpit

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by ArpitRaj View Post
    Operating System Name : Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (build 7600), 64-bit
    Version : 6.1
    Build Number : 7600
    Service Pack :
    Common Controls Version : 5.82

Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66 GHz
    RAM : 2 GB

1. Please provide me with useful links for download and installation about the Linux version you suggest.

2. Windows is installed in drive C: and I plan to use dual boot, so should I repartition C: (if possible without losing data... pls tell me) or should I install it in another volume.

3. Also which option for architecture should I choose from i386 or ia64 or another if I install Debian GNU/Linux.
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

Your computer should be able to run pretty much any distribution that you choose to run.

Take a look a DistroWatch.com for a listing of popular distributions and the links from which to download them.

The installer for most distros will give you the option to dual boot and will partition your drive for that purpose. Just be careful not to let it partition the entire drive for Linux unless you want that.

Your computer should be able to handle 32-bit or 64-bit Linux, so that choice is yours.

Good luck with your Linux experience!
    oz

Just a alternative way to get you started.

Put Lucid Puppy on USB Flash Drive from Windows | USB Pen Drive Linux

That way you can run Linux off of flash drive without messing with internal Windows 7.

or

Put Ubuntu on Flash Drive using Windows | USB Pen Drive Linux

in case you want to run Ubuntu instead off of pendrive. Just pointing out alternatives is all.

Edit: Just mentioning this as my wife is a avid Windows User who won't let me install dual boot but she will run linux off of pendrive though.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!

thanks for the pendrive links...

@rokytnji -- thanks for the pendrive linux links. Fantastic! A whole new world for me, instead of always installing to hard disk or running Live CD (I have older P-IV boxes so I can't run virtualization tools like VirtualBox). Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Given my OS and processor, which of the following should i download :

1. ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso

2. ubuntu-10.10-desktop-amd64.iso

Arpit

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by ArpitRaj View Post
    Given my OS and processor, which of the following should i download :

1. ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso

2. ubuntu-10.10-desktop-amd64.iso
    One is 32-bit Linux and the other is 64-bit Linux, so again, the choice is yours as to which you want to run because your processor is capable of running either of them.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Also...all Linux files have to be in native drive ... can it not access files(docs,mp3,video) from other drives because of different file systems?

Just Joined!
    Go for a 64 bit version of any distribution you choose!! You would probably loose some portion of your RAM if you go for a 32 bit version.