Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can Ubuntu 10 be started with grub4dos? I don't think I want grub on my system. It doesn't meet my specs, I think-unless instructed otherwise-, per my other post....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

grub4dos

Can Ubuntu 10 be started with grub4dos?

I don't think I want grub on my system. It doesn't meet my specs, I think-unless instructed otherwise-, per my other post.

As far as Ubuntu 10.04 goes. I don't know because Ubuntu 10.04 automates grub install and partitioning.

I run grub4dos to multiboot various Linux Puppy Distros with AntiX. Works OK. But all those distros that I boot with grub4dos use grub legacy instead of grub 2 and ext4 file system. Also. They are more of a hands on type of install verses Ubuntu (which you may have to dig down to get to hands on install options)

Otherwise. I don't see why not. As long as you research Ubuntu Install Options before proceeding like where to install grub, etc......
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    As far as Ubuntu 10.04 goes. I don't know because Ubuntu 10.04 automates grub install and partitioning.

I run grub4dos to multiboot various Linux Puppy Distros with AntiX. Works OK. But all those distros that I boot with grub4dos use grub legacy instead of grub 2 and ext4 file system. Also. They are more of a hands on type of install verses Ubuntu (which you may have to dig down to get to hands on install options)

Otherwise. I don't see why not. As long as you research Ubuntu Install Options before proceeding like where to install grub, etc......
    I have had no luck googling any menu1st entry that has worked for UBU 10. My linux install is 4th drive 5th partition.

I have tried the below:
    title Boot from hard disk 3 image
    # map (hd3,0)/aa.dsk (hd3)
    map (hd3) (hd3)
    map --hook
    chainloader (hd3,0)+1
    rootnoverify (h3,0)
    savedefault --wait=2

title find and load grub2
    find --set-root /boot/grub/core.img
    kernel /boot/grub/core.img
    boot
    savedefault --wait=2

title UBuntu attempt 1
    fallback 3
    root (hd3,0) ##(remember, this is Grub 1 Notation = /dev/sda7)
    kernel /boot/grub/core.img
    boot
    savedefault --wait=2

title UBuntu attempt 2
    fallback 4
    root (hd3,4)
    kernel /casper/vmlinuz root=/dev/sde5 ro
    initrd /casper/initrd.lz
    boot
    savedefault --wait=2

title UBU attempt 3
    fallback 3
    root (hd3,0)
    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-386.acpi root=/dev/hde5 ro quiet splash
    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-5-386.acpi
    savedefault
    boot
    savedefault --wait=2

title base grub chainloaderrrrrrrr
    fallback 6
    root (hd3,0)
    chainloader +1
    savedefault --wait=2

Just Joined!
    Then, if I get a python-minimal extraction problem that I had in wubi (breaking updater and snaptic), I will want to uninstall linux to regain my disk space.

As I understand it Uninstalling grub will need through apt-get purge. Then, delete the linux partition and resize the ntfs upwards. Then, I will need to pull out the xp cd (except I don't have the gateway version, only xp pro for another machine) and hope fixmbr will work.

I don't feel comfortable with this since 1. the makers of grub hate windows and don't design the product to be removed easily 2. other users in Googling have reported this didn't work.

So, I will need to hear from someone that has actually un-installed linux, and the grub, and restored the xp original boot behavior.

So, I will need to hear from someone that has actually un-installed linux, and the grub, and restored the xp original boot behavior.
    Yeah, definitely not me. I do the exact opposite.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home