Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having a problem trying to install certain Linux. I have been able to successfuly install mandriva-linux-one-2010-spring-KDE4-europe1-americas-cdrom-i586, and can use Puppy from a USB flash. When I try to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can not install certain versions

I am having a problem trying to install certain Linux. I have been able to successfuly install mandriva-linux-one-2010-spring-KDE4-europe1-americas-cdrom-i586, and can use Puppy from a USB flash.

When I try to install:
    linuxmint-10-gnome-dvd-amd64
    linuxmint-10-gnome-oem-amd64
    zorin-os-3-core-32
    ubuntu 10.10
    Fedora

What I get is what is a start up screen jumbled up on all these versions. I wanted to post a link with a pic showing, but this is my first post, and am not allowed. I have burned ISO's to CD, DVD, and made bootable USB flash, all with the same result. The ubuntu 10.10 I have is a DVD from a Linux magazine. The others I downloaded. I have tried to install ubuntu with wubi with same results.

Windows 7
    HP Pavillion dv6500 Notebook
    X86-based
    AMD Turion 64 TL-58 1900 Mhz, 2 cores, 2 Logical Processors
    NVIDA MCP67M
    Seagate 320g
    2g ram

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sounds like it's probably a graphics problem. Ubuntu has a "safe graphics" mode which may help.

It could be something called Kernel Mode Setting. In any distro, edit the kernel boot line and append the option
    Code:
    nouveau.modeset=0
    and that should disable KMS. Different distros use one of three main bootloaders, GRUB Legacy, GRUB2, or LILO, with most using one of the GRUBS. In the first, it should be the ESC key that gets you into the options, the second I believe the SHIFT key. (Pressed right as the OS gets to the boot screen.)