Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, So I have a netbook, which has no CD drive in it. I'm trying to install WinXP on it with a usb stick with no luck. I've been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need to install winXP on a linux machine

Hi everyone,

So I have a netbook, which has no CD drive in it. I'm trying to install WinXP on it with a usb stick with no luck. I've been trying WintoFlash to make my stick, but it only supports FAT and I think I may need it to support NTFS.

I have set the Bios to read USB first, then USB HDD then everything else. When I boot, the stick with flash showing it is reading, but then stops and Linux starts like normal. I'm going to try formatting the stick and doing it the long way in NTFS, just in case. Any other ideas of how to get Windows on this box?

Thanks all,

Quote Originally Posted by gwailong View Post
    Hi everyone,

So I have a netbook, which has no CD drive in it. I'm trying to install WinXP on it with a usb stick with no luck. I've been trying WintoFlash to make my stick, but it only supports FAT and I think I may need it to support NTFS.

I have set the Bios to read USB first, then USB HDD then everything else. When I boot, the stick with flash showing it is reading, but then stops and Linux starts like normal. I'm going to try formatting the stick and doing it the long way in NTFS, just in case. Any other ideas of how to get Windows on this box?

Thanks all,
    You could install Virtual Box and run Win Xp in a Virtual Machine. It works very well depending what you need XP for. If it's for Gaming you may have some problems but for other stuff you should be good to go.

You can create an .iso image from the XP files with this program then put it onto your USB stick; copy it onto your hard drive. Then in Virtual box select installation media as an .iso media and select the location of the .so file. Then you should be good to go

If you have any problems or questions; post them and I'll be more than happy to help.

Cheers!
    etech97
    Last edited by eTech97; 12-23-2010 at 04:07 AM.

If you have a linux box with a cd in it you could do the following without using any windows os.

Open a CLI
    Type "dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/winxp.iso".

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Why don't you look around if you can get your hands on an external cd drive and install xp from there? I suggest
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667