Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have several partitions on my computer [one for win7,Chromium(not yet installed), and Ubuntu] I am using windows 7. Recently, I installed the daily build of Natty Narwhal Ubuntu (11.04). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Please help, GRUB error

I have several partitions on my computer [one for win7,Chromium(not yet installed), and Ubuntu] I am using windows 7. Recently, I installed the daily build of Natty Narwhal Ubuntu (11.04). It was too slow for and I couldnt use Unity, so I wanted to uninstall it. I deleted the partition from Win7 that it was on and restarted my computer. Then I get an error saying:

"error: unknown filesystem.
    grub rescue>".

Now I can't access Windows 7 or anything
    I've been searching for hours for a solution. I tried to reinstall Ubuntu by booting from a USB but it didn't work (I also enabled USB as first in the boot sequence); all I get when I tried to do that was a blinking "_" charachter. I also tried to use Super Grub Disk but to no avail; I got the same result. Can you help me fix this? I am worried that I might have permanently bricked my comp. I would preferably like a fix method in which I could fix it from the "grub rescue>" line. Thanks in advance.

EDIT:I do not really have any important docs on my compy
    Last edited by wkoomson; 12-28-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: additional information

Sounds like GRUB is corrupt. Goto this WEBSITE and look at chapter 8.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!

Unhappy

I'm not sure I made this clear. My computer will not allow me to boot from usb and cd. I've also tried to boot Ubuntu; didn't work. I've also tried to boot with Super Grub Disk; didn't work. I cannot boot into Windows 7 or anything or that matter. The farthest I am able to go is the
    "unknown filesystem
    grub rescue>"
    Can you tell me how to fix it from there? Please, I really need help. There has to be some kind of code or syntax that will let me boot into windows and/or fix this whole situation. I do not care about getting ubuntu back

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    I deleted the partition from Win7 that it was on and restarted my computer. Then I get an error saying:
    That will happen every time if grub is installed in the MBR and you delete the rest of grub files.

Do you have a Win 7 cd that you can boot into the repair option ? Do not use Win 7 so can not say how.

Try your Super Grub Disk on some other comp, does it boot up ?
    If not, you likely did not burn the cd correctly.

Can you put the hdd into a different comp ?

There has to be some kind of code or syntax that will let me boot into windows
    I tried, but it seems not if you are using GRUB2. Mybe if you have a floppy drive on both the bad and a good comp.

Quote Originally Posted by wkoomson View Post
    I'm not sure I made this clear. My computer will not allow me to boot from usb and cd. I've also tried to boot Ubuntu; didn't work. I've also tried to boot with Super Grub Disk; didn't work. I cannot boot into Windows 7 or anything or that matter. The farthest I am able to go is the
    "unknown filesystem
    grub rescue>"
    Can you tell me how to fix it from there? Please, I really need help. There has to be some kind of code or syntax that will let me boot into windows and/or fix this whole situation. I do not care about getting ubuntu back
    Reboot into BIOS setup and ensure that booting from CD is first in the boot sequence.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted