Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got this error when installing MPlayer with the GUI option: Code: Error: The GUI requires GTK devel packages (which were not found). What does it mean?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

MPlayer

I got this error when installing MPlayer with the GUI option:

Code:
    Error: The GUI requires GTK devel packages (which were not found).
    What does it mean?

Linux Newbie
    yeah, the help files aren't that great, im haveing the same problem. I know that there is a toutorial about this under the toutorial section, but it's for fedora...
    Registered Linux User Number 373366

Linux Newbie
    ok I think that the way i fixed it was to install all the gtk packages that came on my cd's, but i run red hat, and bought the cds...
    Registered Linux User Number 373366

I do have my mandrake CDs here. Thanks for the hint. I'll check it out right away.

you need to install the gtk development package from your cd this will have the gtk and maybe gtk2 this will allow you to compile the gtk based gui for mplayer and other apps that are based on the gtk libs
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Newbie
    If you're going to build software from source on RPM based distros, you need to install developement headers for all the software on which the program you're building depends. RPM distros don't install these by default and without them the program you're building can't see the tools it needs.
    Since you're running Mandrake, and since Mandrake includes MPlayer, as an RPM, with the distro, why not just install the RPM's?
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Damn, that sounds increadibly nice. I had no idea mdk came with mplayer. How do i set this up? What RPMs are you talking about?

Linux Enthusiast
    Trust me, you're better off installing it from source.
    You can enable a lot more features through the configure script options,
    and it will be much more up to date, especially with the CVS snapshots which almsot always work (although you'll need to compile/install the ffmpeg libavcodec first if you use a CVS snapshot)
    Just install the GTK devel packages from your installation disks.
    You don't have to install a GUI with MPlayer though, as the console version works just as well without a GUI to get in the way, since you can set configuration options in the mplayer config file (/usr/local/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf or /usr/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf)
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050