Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
OK when you boot the CD to install and you select the Install Ubuntu option, don't press enter instead press F6. Select the acpi=off and noapic options by using the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

OK when you boot the CD to install and you select the Install Ubuntu option, don't press enter instead press F6. Select the acpi=off and noapic options by using the arrow and enter keys. When they both have an x next to them, press Esc to exit the menu and then press enter to install.

Hope this helps
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    hey guys, thnkx for da assist ,. i did what yall suggested .. cancellin da acpi module ...

well ubuntu did go into boot mode.. i did get a new purple screen with ubuntu in da centre nd 5 dots lightin up in sequence for a while .. but then the followin screenshot creeped up .. dashin all my hopes of a successful install .. plz hv a look ..
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've just had a look round the Internet for this message and it seems there are a couple of possibilities.

1. Not enough RAM for a live CD. It sems that while Ubuntu will run quite happily in 512MB, the live CD requiresa lot more than that. The solution here is to use the alternate CD which is more of a traditional installation disc.

2. The most common cause seems to be a corrupted download or disk burn. The solution here is to follow this guide to check the MD5SUM of the downloaded .iso file and only if it matches, burn a new CD at the slowest possible speed. If the MD5SUMs do not match, you will need to attempt another download. Remember to check the MD5SUM before burning it slowly.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

Just Joined!
    i jus checked da MD5 sums of Desktop.ubuntu.amd64 and desktop.ubuntu.i386

both match da list given on help.ubuntu.com/hashes

plus i also hv 2.0 gb ram .. im guessin that shud be sufficient to load linux ... as even my sony vaio has 2.0 gb ram nd loadin ubuntu was successful ....

i hv allocated 80gb harddrive space in drive (E)

so space is not an issue ..

since i thought there was some driver error .. i downloaded all da drivers for da comp nd reinstalled them .. 67 windows updates ..

i guessill go try with the alternate installation disc ..

so shud i use da amd64 version or the i386 version ...

i do hv an AMD athlon II P320 dual core processor .. so im guessin i shud use da amd64 alternate cd version ...

plz advice ..

ill wait b4 downloading ..

Just Joined!
    hello,

well i downloaded the ubuntu alternate install amd64 version..

burnt a cd at speed = 4 ..... i did chk md5 sum . it matched ..

inserted the cd ... booted from cd ..

got a blue color screen... and after identifyin my keyboard ... i came upon the partition manager option ..

problem is whn i select the drive i hv designated for LINUX , for some reason screen turns red nd it says /root could not be found ...

i dont understand what i do next ...

the partition was formatted using windows 7 ... NTFS format ..

some advice wud be helpful .. plz ..

Linux Guru
    since i thought there was some driver error .. i downloaded all da drivers for da comp nd reinstalled them .. 67 windows updates ..
    Windows drivers are not going to be of any use on any Linux distribution.

the partition was formatted using windows 7 ... NTFS format ..
    Ubuntu won't work on a partition formatted ntfs, that is windows only file system. When you refer to the "drive" you select for Linux, are you actually referring to the partition? Terms like "E drive" are going to be meaningless in Ubuntu. You will probably need to select Custom partitioning when you get to the partition manager section and format using a Linux filesystem, ext2, ext3, ext4, etc... If you could post an image of what you see, it would probably help.

OK, to install Linux you will need some free unpartitioned space.

Back up any data that you can't afford to lose from Windows before continuing. Working with partitions is pretty safe these days, barring human error or power failure but it is far better to have a backup and not need it than the other way around.

Once you have your backup, you can use your chosen partition manager (I assume under windows) to delete the partition that you want to use for Linux. When you then boot the install disk there should be an option on the partition screen to use the free space.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

Just Joined!
    wow .. thnkx elija ... really u r a genius ..

u c last time i used WUBI.exe to install linux .. nd no suck problem crept up ...
    i used an NTFS drive ,,, so i assumed i shud do da same this time .. anyways .. ill hv a go at wot u jus said .. will keep ya in da loop .. thnkx bro ..

Just Joined!
    wow i jus totally screwed up ... didnt get any linux installed but also deleted windows 7 in da progress ,.,.... oh da agony !!!!!

well once i completed da partition using alternate cd .... wen installin linux on da partition (ext4 formatted) ,, i kept gettin error sayin some file is corrupted ....... da md5sums checked out fine .... guess ill jus hv to rewrite da iso file using a diff pc ,....

Just Joined!
    Hey
    Me jus installed ubuntu nd im over da moon ....
    Man it feels so good,
    All i did was run ubuntu fm cd then once it started clicked on install ubuntu nd v r done . I did cancel out acpi option using f6 .

I read bout partitionin on da net so i used da same :
    /swap : 6gb. I hv 2gb ram
    /boot : 6 gb
    /user : 6 gb
    /. : remainin space

Is this ok ? The boot is primary drive

If its wrong ill reibstall ubuntu wid correct settings

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast