Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am trying to install BT4 on my usb hard drive but having issues installing it onto the drive. I have followed the instructions using Linux live usb creator, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Issues installing on USB drive

Hi,

I am trying to install BT4 on my usb hard drive but having issues installing it onto the drive.

I have followed the instructions using Linux live usb creator, which makes the usb drive bootable.
    However when i try to run the install script on the desktop the installer cannot find any partions i have on the USB hard drive.

However if i go into Gparted, they show up.

I can mount the partions onto something like /mnt/usbflash and copy files to the USB hard drive, but i cannot install BT4 onto it.

If i use a LiveCD to boot, the install.sh then shows the drives. I tried to install this way but when i try to boot from the drive again it states no Operating System is found.

So what i am trying to do is boot into BT4 r2 using the USD hard drive, then install BT4 r2 on there so i can download files and drivers, then use this on other machines.

I am right in suggesting i have a 4GB partition for the boot section and then another for the 'data' such as the drivers i want to install, or just make a big partition?

All partitions are set to FAT32, when i tried it before it stated i needed a SWAP partition and ext3 which i made, but then the drive didnt boot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

Unetbootin offers a simple method of installing distros to USB drives so maybe that will work for you:

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

I see there that Backtrack is one of the distro options available.

Good luck with it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

Unetbootin offers a simple method of installing distros to USB drives so maybe that will work for you:

I see there that Backtrack is one of the distro options available.

Good luck with it.
    Thank you for your reply Ozar.

Unfortunatly i have already tried that tool and it gives me the same problem as the other USB installers i have tried.

This is only when i run the distro from the drives in question as previously mentioned. If i boot from CD the drives show up but i dont think the installer will install it correctly on the drives booting from the live CD.

Just Joined!
    Just an update.

I did a guided install using Gparted on the fully formated usb drive and Gparted created two partitions and installed.

However when trying to boot from this drive it did not boot on two differnent machines.

One giving the error Operating System not found.

The other giving just a flashing white cursor on a black screen.