Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright, I was told that if I want my Winblows computers (the rest of the family and my gaming compy) and I want to share my cable connection, and have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setup Help Please... What to do?

Alright, I was told that if I want my Winblows computers (the rest of the family and my gaming compy) and I want to share my cable connection, and have a linux server... the best way was to have a seperate computer for routing that port forwards. And it doesn't run a firewall so that it's as transparent as can be. Then the server runs behind it runnning a firewall on itself. I'm a n00b to linux for the most part. What I'd like to know is what's the best way to do this? I have 2 comps just for servers.. (350 P2 and 866 P3)... I just don't know how I'm going to set them up to run properly. I used to have a Mandrake 8.2 server running in the front of the network hosting web pages and stuff and routing...but now that I'm getting more and more users I have the need for increased security. Not to mention my increasing gain of enemies at school (I'm 15 and in highschool). But security is an issue for any server no matter how popular. Mandrake was pretty easy, I would like something good, Mandrake 9.1 will probly do but whatever you guys suggest is fine. Remember I'm pretty bad at Linux, but I'm willing to learn as long as I can get it up soon as possible. I don't need to run a firewall on my other comps, nothing valuable on them or anything. I just use my server to write PHP code on it. I need help if possible. Whats the best way to run this? What Distro should I use? My main server needs to do these things as easily as possible:

1. >Apache2
    2. >PHP4.3.1
    3. Mail srver... pretty much get mail from point a to point b, and I need outside of the network clients to be able to use email.
    4. ProFTP or some FTP
    5. PERL...easy I presume.
    6. Some other odds and ends I can't think about right now.

Thanks in Advanced and nice forum here.

Linux Guru
    You can probably run just about any distro you want. The routing features are mainly in the kernel, and as long as you use a recent distro (with a recent kernel), you shouldn't have any routing trouble. I know that RH8 and 9, and most probably recent mdk distros ship with all those things you listed (except possible the odds and ends... =) ), so that shouldn't a problem either. Just remember to keep your system up to date, for security.
    I don't really see what the problem is? Set the 350 box as the router system and the 866 one as the server. Is there anything more than that? You seem to have done it before, so I don't really get what the problem is this time. Could you clarify, please?

Just Joined!
    Ahh yes...before my server that is now behind the router was in front...it was the router. Well right now I'm using a hardware router but it's kind of slow response time being very very old. I'm not how to port forward and setup routing in Linux then with drakconf in Mandrake.

Linux Guru
    I would recommend against using those GUI tools if you want a somewhat professional firewall/router. Read up on netfilter on http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/. There are a lot of HOWTOs, FAQs, tutorials and other stuff there that's well worth reading. Don't hesitate to ask here if there's something that you don't understand.

Just Joined!
    I'm using Coyote Linux right now on my router, as it's a great solution, and later I can use it with a lower end box, if I can find one. The only thing now is getting port forwarding to work, which I'm having a slight difficulty doing so.

EDIT: Oh yea, and I'm running Mandrake 9.1 on my actual server, and the imap doesn't work on it, for some reason or another. When I type:

service imap start

it says:

imap is a xinetd service
    Reloading configuration: [FAILED]

hrmm...dunno whats wrong.

Linux Guru
    That means that IMAP is controlled by xinetd. xinetd is a daemon that listens to all ports that are used by simpler servers, like the IMAP server, in the purpose of decreasing the number of unnecessary processes running on the system. When a program connects to xinetd, it in turn launches the actual server, like imapd in this case. Therefore, you don't start imapd yourself, but you enable it in your xinetd configuration. See if you have a file called /etc/xinetd.d/imap, and set disable to no in it. Then make xinetd reload its configuration with "service xinetd reload".

To help you get port forwarding to work, I need to know your current configuration. Are you using iptables? If so, can you give me the output of the following command?
    Code:
    for t in $(cat /proc/net/ip_tables_names); do echo $t; iptables -t $t -L -n; done

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the explanation of xinetd, I understand it better now..and pretty much it means that my server is fine then and the IMAP will work.

As for the ip tables thing, I'm using IPCHAINS I guess... It's coyote Linux so I'm not quite sure, but it routes fine, I just need to get my portforwarding to work so I can have my web server and stuff. Do you know how to get portforwarding to work on IPCHAINS?

Linux Guru
    I once used ipchains as well, but that was over a year ago, I think, so, well, no, I don't remember it. Are you running a 2.4 kernel (check with "uname -r" if you don't know)? If so, you should consider upgrading to iptables. It is extremely superior to ipchains. If you're not running a 2.4 kernel, you should also consider upgrading. They are extremely superior. If you don't notice, I'm kinda drunk...

Just Joined!
    I figured out the problem, for some reason my lil floppy distro has a problem loading modules. It doesn't load the ftp, quake, and autofw modules amongst others... It doesn't seem to load any of them and I don't know what to do but I think I'll take the disk and recreate after analyzing it and backing up my configs.

Linux Guru
    Why don't you just use a "real" distro instead?