Find the answer to your Linux question:
Which is better? Partition one hard drive into two partitions and install Linux on one and Windows on the other . . . or install these two operating systems on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dual boot question

Which is better?

Partition one hard drive into two partitions and install Linux on one and Windows on the other . . . or install these two operating systems on separate hard drives. I am doing a computer rebuild (after fatal crash) and would like to have the dual boot option.

Also, which OS should be installed first?

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by MissouriMule View Post
    Which is better?

Partition one hard drive into two partitions and install Linux on one and Windows on the other . . . or install these two operating systems on separate hard drives. I am doing a computer rebuild (after fatal crash) and would like to have the dual boot option.

Also, which OS should be installed first?
    Hello

It's really a matter of personal preference, depending on your own needs, whether you install two operating systems to one drive, or put them on separate drives.

It's easier to get it all setup and running properly if you install Windows first.
    oz

Just Joined!
    First install windows and keep one of the partion as raw and try to install linux into thw raw partion.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Cool window is best to install

yes i think window is the best option to install first and then install linux of any partition in the partitions

thanks

Just Joined!
    ...Depending on your hardware setup, you might consider spreading the installation of your operating systems across both drives --- putting part of your Linux distribution on one drive and part of it on another may improve the performance of your system by reducing head movements on your disks. (Although I don't know whether the improvement is likely to be very great: I think it's a moot point whether it really makes that much difference.)

And, as the other posters have said, installing Windows first makes for fewer headaches!

I would suggest you to install Both OSes on separate Hard disks, if possible. In this way, both OSes will be independent of each other and if any thing goes wrong with one OS ( or Hard disk ), other OS will boot up without any problem.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I agree with dc ... one OS on each hard drive is best. I also suggest you partition each dive anyway & keep OS and data separate. That way if you have problems and need to re-install an OS then you don't need to reinstall your data