Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am about to install Linux and Windows XP on a partitioned hard drive (dedicated for these two OSís only. The data and software apps will be on other drives). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SATA verses IDE

I am about to install Linux and Windows XP on a partitioned hard drive (dedicated for these two OSís only. The data and software apps will be on other drives). I have two choices for a drive, an 80 Gb IDE or an 80 Gb SATA drive. Are there any advantages to the SATA over the IDE on an Abit NS7 motherboard?

As a back up for the 80 Gb OS drive, can I ghost it to another 80 Gb drive? Can a SATA be ghosted to an IDE? Are there better options for backing up this drive?

Thanks

Missouri Mule

SATA is supposed to be faster, isn't it? I'd go with that.
    You'll have to wait for someone else to answer the second question.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    Perhaps it won't happen, but I suspect that IDE drives will be dying off considerably in the near future. Solid state drives look to be the new wave and they seem to be going SATA for the most part.
    Last edited by oz; 02-10-2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: spell
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    There isn't much sense getting an IDE drive over a SATA one in 2011 unless you're using a really old 2.4 kernel or some other mix of hardware/software that doesn't support SATA.