Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi,I wanted to install Scientific Linux..so i download the ISO files from its site.....i download Scientific Linux 5.5....i got 2 DVDs...i have written them in Bootable format using Nero......I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help installing Scientific Linux

Hi,I wanted to install Scientific Linux..so i download the ISO files from its site.....i download Scientific Linux 5.5....i got 2 DVDs...i have written them in Bootable format using Nero......I have given 1st boot priority as CD/DVD drive..But I didnot get any graphical screen...I got a DOS prompt after the priority selection screen...Now i am stuck on how to install it...I have searched for Installation notes...but could only find for Scientific Linux 5.2.

CAN ANYONE PLS HELP ME

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by subhash_rao View Post
    i have written them in Bootable format using Nero
    Hello and welcome!

If you did that, then you didn't burn the image to disk properly. The ISO writing process makes the disk bootable by default. You can check this article for making sure you properly download the ISO file, burn it to disk as an image, then boot with the new installation disk:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html
    oz

Hi,I wanted to install Scientific Linux..so i download the ISO files from its site.....i download Scientific Linux 5.5....i got 2 DVDs...i have written them in Bootable format using Nero......I have given 1st boot priority as CD/DVD drive..But I didnot get any graphical screen...I got a DOS prompt after the priority selection screen...Now i am stuck on how to install it...I have searched for Installation notes...but could only find for Scientific Linux 5.2.

CAN ANYONE PLS HELP ME
    Hi,
    Write in Google: <distro name> <computer platform> Live CD .iso

For example, if you have Intel Processor and 64-bit Motherboard:
    Fedora 13 i686 Live CD .iso
    Ubuntu 10 Live CD i386 .iso
    CentOS 5.5 i386 Live CD .iso

and download the .iso image (should be around 700 MB). Then right click with the mouse on the .iso file and select [Burn on CD] option, and you will have a Live CD that can be run directly at startup.

If you like some distro you can install it on the hard disk.

After that write in Google: Perfect Desktop <your distro> <your platform>
    or Perfect Web server or Database server or Email Server or Forex Trade Station or whatever you want to do there, and find instructions how to proceed.

You can add and remove .rpm packages with the Package Installer from the desktop menu, and with Yum from the System Terminal.

Regards

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You might want to get the SL6 distribution. SL5.5 is really no different than CentOS 5.5. Here is a link to their mirror: Index of /linux/scientific/6.0
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

CAN ANYONE PLS HELP ME
    RE: The bootable format

They are in bootable format, just write the .iso 1:1 on the CD/DVD
    1. What is your computer architecture - Intel-32, x86-64 AMD, Itanium, etc.
    2. What do you want to do - Web Server, Desktop, Research Station, Database Server ...

If it is Desktop you don't need two DVDs - one Live CD is more than enough.
    Most probably these two DVDs are for web server.

Regards

All .iso image are bootable by default and there is no need to manually create bootable disk. As ozar suggested already, do not create bootable disk. Just select 'Burn Image to Disk' option in Nero. It will burn .iso image correctly.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First