Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to dual boot windows 7 with Linux but under the system/admin there is no part editor and i tried to use a windows simulator to run the disk ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help trying to dual boot!

I'm trying to dual boot windows 7 with Linux but under the system/admin there is no part editor and i tried to use a windows simulator to run the disk and it still wont allow it, someone please help asap!
    my version of linux is Ubuntu 10.10 and im using a ASUS M4A79XTD EVO motherboard

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Micasou View Post
    I'm trying to dual boot windows 7 with Linux but under the system/admin there is no part editor and i tried to use a windows simulator to run the disk and it still wont allow it, someone please help asap!
    my version of linux is Ubuntu 10.10 and im using a ASUS M4A79XTD EVO motherboard
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure I'm following what you are doing or have done, but if you've properly downloaded the ISO file and burned it to disk as an image, the new installation disk should give you an option to install the distribution after booting your machine with it. You can check this HowTo for the details on getting all those steps done properly:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

Once you've booted your machine with the installation disk, you choose the install option and the installer should give you an opportunity to setup a dual-boot machine.

Good luck with it... hope it all goes well.
    oz

Just Joined!
    My aplogies my wording was incorrect, im trying duel boot linux with Windows 7 and linux was installed first. When i put in the disk none of the options come up under the system admin that ive read about in practically every forum about dual booting.

oz
    forum.guy
    It's always far easier to install Linux after Windows has been installed because Windows prefers to be the one and only OS on a disk. It is possible to install Linux first, but it can be a major chore to work your way through it if you don't know what you are doing. If you are new to Linux, I'd recommend backing up any important data, clearing the drive, then installing Windows while leaving some unallocated space for Linux, then you can install Ubuntu or any other distro of your choice on the unallocated space.
    oz

Just Joined!
    thats what ive been trying to do but it wont allow me to, can you give me a start in the right direction? Any driver erase program i try wont work.

Just Joined!
    like if you have a link or simple instructions to a workable one on linux that would be wonderful! :]

oz
    forum.guy
    The easiest method of clearing your current partition table would probably be to go to a terminal in Ubuntu and then run the following command:

Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    This process just takes a few seconds and you should receive a short message about records in and records out, then you should be able to boot your Windows installation disk if there aren't any problems with that disk.

The above is assuming that you only have one drive and the device to be cleared is /dev/sda.
    oz