Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an old windows 98 PC that I am trying to install Xubuntu on. I've checked and set the BIOS to boot from the cd rom. I've verified the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I'm Completely stumped

I have an old windows 98 PC that I am trying to install Xubuntu on. I've checked and set the BIOS to boot from the cd rom. I've verified the boot disk and it worked on my mac just fine but when I try to boot the pc with it, it just boots Windows 98 from the hard drive. Ive checked the pcs cd rom by reading another cd so the drive is working but when I put the boot cd in the drive it won't read it. I've also tried to create the boot cd with the pc but the software I have can only create boot cds from .ima files. So I tried converting the .iso file on my mac to an .img file and then just renaming that file with a .ima extension, then burning that file onto a disk(not a boot disk, just the image) but the pc wont read that one either. So I'm pretty sure the pc just can't read disks written on my mac. I think if I could find software that will work on Windows 98 that can write boot disks from .iso files that might work. Anyone have any ideas?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCc View Post
    I think if I could find software that will work on Windows 98 that can write boot disks from .iso files that might work. Anyone have any ideas?
    Hello and welcome!

Check here for some cd writer applications and instructions on using them:

How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd

Hopefully one or more of them will work with Win98.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    If all else fails, you can use UNetbootin to install some distributions to your hard drive without the need for a cd or cd-drive:

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you sooo much. I found a program that works with 98! Burning the disk now, though it will take a little bit at 4x. I'll let ya know how it turns out. Thanks again