Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a repair shop and have recently been dabbling in different Linux distro's, but still have so much to learn. Here is the scenario: Customer has brought in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Grub2 and New HDD

Hello,

I have a repair shop and have recently been dabbling in different Linux distro's, but still have so much to learn. Here is the scenario:

Customer has brought in a pc with Meerkat installed on HDD1. He has apparently removed that HDD and installed another HDD with Windows installed on it. Each HDD boots fine if the other HDD is removed.

I have put the Linux drive on SATA1, and Windows drive on SATA2. How do I tell the grub installation on the Linux drive to add the Windows drive to the list?

fdisk -l returns nothing.... Help?

Hi and Welcome !

Doesn't sudo fdisk -l list partitions of SATA2 Hard disk? Execute update-grub command with root privileges in Terminal/Konsole. GRUB2 will detect Windows OS installed in other disk and reconfigure it's menu itself.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I appreciate your response. I tried what you suggested, and the sudo fdisk -l does see the second harddrive, yesterday it did not give me results. The Windows installation did not show up on the Grub menu, and there are some other issues with the installation that convinced me to contact the EU. She stated that her dad had installed the OS's and had problems getting Ubuntu working properly. Since this is a "fresh" install, I am going to reload Ubuntu and set it up properly.

I am sure that I will be back with more ?'s. Thank you for your time and knowledge.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close