Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a ext4 backup partion on my HDD and I would like to install Musix Distro. My question is can my ext4 be converted to ext3 when I install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cool Changing ext4 to ext3

I have a ext4 backup partion on my HDD and I would like to install Musix Distro.
    My question is can my ext4 be converted to ext3 when I install Musix, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frogeyes View Post
    I have a ext4 backup partion on my HDD and I would like to install Musix Distro.
    My question is can my ext4 be converted to ext3 when I install Musix, thanks
    Hello and Welcome.
    During the install, it will ask you where to install to, just make sure you install it to the right place and have the installer format it for you.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Hello and Welcome.
    During the install, it will ask you where to install to, just make sure you install it to the right place and have the installer format it for you.
    Thank you for the reply.
    I don't want to format the backup partion, I have files on it that I want to keep, I know how to install a Debian based Distro, it's just that I'm not sure if it will convert a ext4 to a ext3

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm not sure you can convert from ext4 to ext3 without formatting. You can go from 3 to 4, but I'm not sure you can go back. Why do you want to change it?

AFAIK, there is no direct way to Downgrade (from ext4 to ext3). You have to copy data to another location and reformat partition to ext3.
    Maybe other way exists but I am not aware that.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

The long and short of it is I have Ubuntu Studio installed and to many problems with jackd2, so I thought I would install Musix as it works fine and has the rt kernel but Debian Lenny dosn't read ext4.
    I have in the passed gone from ext3 to ext4 without any problems but never the other way

Quote Originally Posted by frogeyes View Post
    The long and short of it is I have Ubuntu Studio installed and to many problems with jackd2, so I thought I would install Musix as it works fine and has the rt kernel but Debian Lenny dosn't read ext4.
    I have in the passed gone from ext3 to ext4 without any problems but never the other way
    Same here, which is why I suggested to let the installer do it for you. You could do as devils casper mentioned and move the files to a safe place until after you format it.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.