Find the answer to your Linux question:
First post: Plea to the masses. I understand. I bow to the collective knowledge here. I've read so many threads without finding a similar problem. Thanks! The short of it: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Rio
    Just Joined!

"Bootmgr is missing", boot from USB, no luck!

First post: Plea to the masses. I understand. I bow to the collective knowledge here. I've read so many threads without finding a similar problem. Thanks!

The short of it: A newly-installed UNE 10.10 was behaving strangely, I tried to access Windows 7 (previously installed, and I used Wubi to install Ubuntu) to repair and reinstall UNE, and the computer left me with "bootmgr is missing" message and the option to restart. That's it. A black screen and that's it. I don't have a CD/DVD drive, so I need to install from a live USB. I have two live USB's with UNE 10.10 on each, looking fine, but the boot does not respond to either.

For background info: I tried installing UNE from USB before all this, but with no luck, so I used Wubi out of desperation. I'm assuming it's some BIOS issue that wasn't addressed? I'm using a brand new ASUS eee PC 1001PX.

I'm a bit of a noob who wants to love Ubuntu on my new netbook, but it does little more than turn on now. All I want is Ubuntu on it, as I would have uninstalled Windows if I hadn't used Wubi. Is there a way to access BIOS or boot options? Should I expect a live USB to work-- try different distros or versions or something?

Thanks so much,
    -Rio

Hi and Welcome !

I have two live USB's with UNE 10.10 on each, looking fine, but the boot does not respond to either.
    Have you checked BIOS settings? Check if USB drive has been set as First boot device?

Has any OS installed in your machine right now?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First