Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have two different training course for Linux that I'M just starting, one uses RH and the other uses Fedora. When I first installed RH it took away the grub ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

installing fedora, with red hat

I have two different training course for Linux that I'M just starting, one uses RH and the other uses Fedora. When I first installed RH it took away the grub loader for Ubuntu. Now that I need to install Fedora I'M worried it's going to do the same thing to RH. If I install Fedora, will it then take away the grub loader for RH in the same way that RH did to Ubuntu? Thanks.

If I install Fedora, will it then take away the grub loader for RH in the same way that RH did to Ubuntu?
    Yes. But it's really easy to add an entry of RH in Fedora Menu. Unlike Ubuntu which uses GRUB2, Fedora and RedHat use Grub. It's really easy to edit conf file of GRUB.

Mount RedHat partition in Fedora, open it's grub.conf file and copy first title block ( title, root and kernel lines ) and paste in Fedora's grub.conf file. That's all.

There are a lot of other ways to preserve GRUB of RH during Fedora install. But in any case, you have to edit grub.conf file of either Fedora or RedHat.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Thanks, but where is the grub file could you be a little more specific as to what you mean by copy first title block? Can I do this from within Fedora or is that something I need while I can still get to RH?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It's /boot/grub/grub.conf file in both OSes.

Have you installed both RedHat and Fedora?
    As I suggested earlier, you have to mount root partition of RH in Fedora. Open /boot/grub/grub.conf file of RH ( mounted in Fedora ), copy a few lines and paste in Fedora's /boot/grub/grub.conf file.

It will be a lot easier for you to follow instructions if you first install both OSes. After installation of RH and Fedora, execute these commands in Terminal :
    Code:
    df -h
    su -
    /sbin/fdisk -l
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First