Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, this is my first thread here. I will get to the point immeadetly. I wanted to have linux on my 2 year old laptop (its ASUS x57l) so i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Pc wont boot

Hello, this is my first thread here.
    I will get to the point immeadetly. I wanted to have linux on my 2 year old laptop (its ASUS x57l) so i created ubuntu 10.10 boot cd and installed it. I wanted to use whole disc so i formated everything (i had win7 there) in installation program. Installation was succesful and it downloaded all updates and they were installed propertly too. When reboot was neccesary i rebooted and there were some diagnostics there when ending installation. I only mentioned some diagnostics about battery and there were a lot of another diagnostics.. There were [OK]s in the endings and when DVDrom opened alone it suddenly wrote a lot of some errors ... i tryed to hit enter , then it wrote *will now reboot and after reboot there is only a black screen and nothing happens... HDD LED is flashing for a while and then its off... there is no beep and no manufacturer logo. i cant get even to bios! pls help me

Hi and Welcome !

BIOS setup has nothing to do with Operation System. You have to press key at startup assigned by ASUS to enter BIOS. It's either F8, Esc or F2 in most of machines.

Does your Lappy boot up from LiveCD now? Which Graphics Card your Lappy has?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks for welcome

Well, i tried it recently - i cant get to BIOS setup no matter what key i push.

My lappy should boot from HDD, but i dont know now, becouse i dont see a damn thing on screen. Even HDD is not working as i said in my previous post.

I tried to boot from Windows XP CD but same result. After i push ON/OFF button on my lappy, nothing happens, only that black screen, no beep, no manufacturer logo or bios.

I guess that it should be some kind of hardware problem. What do you think?

EDIT: Ups sorry, i forgot to mention my graphic card... its integrated intel chipset
    Last edited by Drakenus; 03-12-2011 at 11:49 PM.

If you download the alternate install version and try that, it should give you a clean install, or at least a better idea of what step is causing the problem. Also, you may want to go to distrowatch.com and grab a copy of sytem rescue, currently #51 on the top 100.
    Registered Linux user #526930

I guess that it should be some kind of hardware problem. What do you think?
    If you are not hearing any beep, Hard disk noise and not any activity after pressing Power button then it's a Hardware problem only. Something might wrong with Battery/Power.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First