Find the answer to your Linux question:
Problem is as follows. I have a 16 GB pendrive. FS is ext2. My wish is: 1. Install Ubuntu 10.10 Live on that partition 2. Make it persistant 3. Make ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu Live to ext2 USB

Problem is as follows.

I have a 16 GB pendrive. FS is ext2. My wish is:

1. Install Ubuntu 10.10 Live on that partition
    2. Make it persistant
    3. Make it bootable

Basicly what I need is what many USB live creators can give me but only on FAT FS. But I need this installation on ext2 completly. If it's possible, bare in mind that I'm noobie so please be gentle.

TIA

P.S. Don't suggest FAT installation with ext2 as second partition. I know how to do that but that's not what I want.

I would first make a small pendrive of Ubuntu Live as my installer pendrive. I would boot it and then insert the 16 gig drive. I would then run the installer on the live usb and point the installer to the pendrive.

I would tell the installer to use ext2 file system. Label it as /. Flag it as boot. I would not make a /swap.

I've done this before over a year ago but not with Ubuntu. But with AntiX.

Yet Another Technology Site: Install AntiX 8.2 Final on External Flash Drive
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Do you really need a liveUSB? In most cases you're better off doing a full install to the USB drive, giving you a complete Linux system on a flash drive. I've done many that way, usually on an SDHC card, but also on USB flash drives. The only reason for a liveUSB installation is for trying and eventually installing Linux on another computer. If you just need to run Linux on different computers by booting from the flash drive, a full install is the way to go. You can use any filesystem you want - ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserfs, etc, whatever Linux supports, it's your choice.

Just Joined!
    I read on some forums that if you do full install on flash drive it does more writing (so pendrive lives shorter) and that it's slower. True or not?

Not true. The writing will be the same, or perhaps less. The life of the drive isn't really a consideration, though, because it will be obsolete long before it's worn out. I still have several small drives and SD cards that work fine, although they're several years old, but I don't use them because they're too small for any practical use. A 16GB drive seems fairlly large now, but in a couple of years it will be obsolete, although still working. It will take years of constant writes/erase/writes to wear one out, and you won't be writing constantly. Don't worry about it.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for help. I decided to buy external drive. Installed Ubuntu. It works perfectly for now. I hope in time I will transfer Ubuntu to internal disk, and Windows7... well... you know...