Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok so heres my story had ubuntu working and everything untill one day when i'd log in it was so glitch i couldnt do anything on it and my cpu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Please help linux wont even boot

Ok so heres my story had ubuntu working and everything untill one day when i'd log in it was so glitch i couldnt do anything on it and my cpu was heating up. Windows was fine tho. I didnt do a proper uninstall i just formated the hard drive i had ubuntu on..(windows was on different hd). So now dsl is the only linux distro that will boot up for me every other one has a kernal error while booting. Including the same ubuntu i already had loaded. any ideas why. i've tried with my hds not hooked up either but no luck i know some comps wont run certain distros but mine wont run any of them. I can load feather and dsl tho but still not anything else even tho i've tried ones that are similar to this. Cant even load puppy. Some help me out cause i cant get the repository on dsl to work either and its not much fun for me!!!!!!!!!!!!! also heres my comp specs to help out cpu2.7ghz 512ddr ram 40gighd and 120gig hd typical dvd player cd burner. i gotta nvidia geforce 6200 with 512 ram on it compaq persario desktop comp thats about it help plz

Hello and Welcome.
    So what exactly happens when you boot, say, Ubuntu? Can you post the exact error message or process? Have you tried using any of the kernel boot codes?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    it always give me some type of kernal error not sure what the kernel boot codes are i've tried different options i get when i see the first load menu and have either live boot or install options and some by pressing f2 or f3 brings up advanced options but no help there

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Does Windows boot OK? You should always check if it is not a hardware error first. If Windows is OK, it is not a problem with memory.

But Windows is on a separate disk, you say? It may be that your Ubuntu drive is damaged. You can try to boot using an Ubuntu Live CD, that you can create from Windows. Then, when you have booted into the CD, check to see if you mount the Linux drive and read and write files to it.

If you can read and write files to your Ubunutu disk from the Live CD, let us know, and we can help you take further steps to try and fix the boot process.

Just Joined!
    i am using the drive ubuntu was on for storing movies. i did install ubuntu to that drive through windows with a live disc and when i rebooted i choose ubuntu in the grub menu and got the same error as i do when i try loading the disc itself i've also tried disconneting my hds all together and run just in live mode but still got the same error. i can load dsl and feather without an issue but fedora arch ubuntu lubuntu geexbox all show me kernel errors i'll try and post them in a few when i give it a try to help out

Just Joined!
    ok heres what i get when i load several different distros............... lubuntu and ubuntu kernal panic not syncing...........knoppix starting live mode..........do not remove medium untill shutdown then doesnt do anything could leave it for a day and nothing still................lucid puppy loading kernel modules waiting for modules to complete loading then does nothing never loads geexbox gives blank screen after hitting live mode debug mode gives me color bars with no effect thanks for help

Another thing, do any of these CD/DVDs work on other machines? If not, did you check the md5sums to verify your downloads were not corrupted?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by seanbob05 View Post
    ok heres what i get when i load several different distros............... lubuntu and ubuntu kernal panic not syncing...........knoppix starting live mode..........do not remove medium untill shutdown then doesnt do anything could leave it for a day and nothing still................lucid puppy loading kernel modules waiting for modules to complete loading then does nothing never loads geexbox gives blank screen after hitting live mode debug mode gives me color bars with no effect thanks for help
    (Would it kill you to use complete sentences and correct punctuation? I, for one, would really appreciate that )

OK, so everyone calm down. You tried all of these different Linux live disks, and the fact that some distributions kernel panic and others do not is some indication of a hardware problem.

Here is my guess: your awesome Nvidia GForce 6200 video card may be hogging all of the electricity on your computer, and this can starve your memory chips of electricity which can cause a memory fault and a kernel panic. Solving this problem is very easy, just buy a new, more powerful power supply for your computer, make sure it has enough watts to power the CPU + the video card + all of your hard disks. Believe it or not, this solves a lot of peoples problems!

To see if it is in fact your video card hogging up all the power, take the video card out of your computer, connect a smaller card, or connect the monitor to the built-in VGA adapter (if there is one). Then try booting again and see if there are any problems. Try booting into Windows, then try the Linux you have installed on your second hard disk.

Remember: your computer and video card may NOT be broken at all! It might just need a larger power supply to power all of your hardware.

Just Joined!
    damn you may be right cause i think thats when i started having problems. I added the card and a 4pin case fan at the same time. A week before i added card I switched from 250w to a 300w i had in an old junk comp(still newer than my Compaq). "your awesome nvidia geforce 6200" were you picking on it??lol Low budget and only pci slots lead me to this card. ddr1 ram is also expensive i should probably get newer pc. Sorry about my grammar, it probably sounds like I dont normally speak english but i do. Thanks for the help.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by seanbob05 View Post
    "your awesome nvidia geforce 6200" were you picking on it?
    I promise, I wasn't picking on your choice of video card. I think the GeForce 6000 series is really nice.

I still like ATI a bit better though, but that is because they have more open-source video drivers, so you can play around with optimizing graphics at a really low level if you want to.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!