Find the answer to your Linux question:
i7 cpu, quad core, dual hard drives, window 7 64bit on the first hard drive. Nothing on the second hard drive. I want to put fedora 64 bit on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows 7 Fedora 14

i7 cpu, quad core, dual hard drives, window 7 64bit on the first hard drive. Nothing on the second hard drive. I want to put fedora 64 bit on the second hard drive of my laptop and windows xp 32 on the second hard drive with the fedora.
    Both hard drives are formatted in NTFS

1. Do I have to go through windows 7 when it is running or can I boot with the fedora dvd from the dvd player? I don' t know what microsoft and dell do with the new technology and license requirements etc.

2. I do believe I have to install windows xp first on the 2nd hd before fedoara?

3. Do I need to reformat the second hd with a third party gparted or does both fedora and windows xp format and repartition as needed? I did try to boot/load windows xp through the dvd but it stalled and the system said there is a problem at which point I had to restart windows 7.

Just Joined!
    i7 cpu, quad core, dual hard drives, window 7 64bit on the first hard drive. Nothing on the second hard drive. I want to put fedora 64 bit on the second hard drive of my laptop and windows xp 32 on the second hard drive with the fedora.

1. Do I have to go through windows 7 when it is running or can I boot with the fedora dvd from the dvd player? I don' t know what microsoft and dell do with the new technology and license requirements etc.

2. I do believe I have to install windows xp first on the 2nd hd before fedoara?

3. Do I need to reformat the second hd with a third party gparted or does both fedora and windows xp format and repartition as needed? I did try to boot/load windows xp through the dvd but it stalled and the system said there is a problem at which point I had to restart windows 7.

Linux Guru
    Is this a desktop computer?
    Are both hard drives internal?

You need a Linux filesystem for Fedora, ntfs won't work. You can format the partition for Fedora during the install. I believe Fedora 14 uses ext4 filesystem by default.

Do I have to go through windows 7 when it is running or can I boot with the fedora dvd from the dvd player?
    Not sure what you mean. Do you mean to install Fedora? If so, you need to set your CD/DVD drive in which you have the Fedora CD/DVD to first boot priority in the BIOS, then boot the computer.

don' t know what microsoft and dell do with the new technology and license requirements etc.
    Not sure what you mean here either. Whether your license is invalidated by installing another operating system??

You don't HAVE to install xp first but it will make it a lot easier if you do.

You can partition and format for Fedora during the Fedora install. Don't know about xp as I've never used it.

Just Joined!
    Yes, they are both internal hard drives. Laptop

On the second quote, I wasn't sure if because of how windows 7 may be installed at the factory if one has to bring up windows 7 and then load the fedora dvd etc.

I was told that I couldn't load windows xp onto the windows 7 partition because the chipset wouldn't support the xp, but they did say that I could upgrade to windows 7 pro or ultimate because there is a virtual xp on the dvd that will work through windows 7. Not sure if I believe them about the chipset not supporting it.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    I was told that I couldn't load windows xp onto the windows 7 partition because the chipset wouldn't support the xp
    Might be true as xp is almost ten years old, ancient in computer software but, who knows.

Let us know how it goes.

Just Joined!
    It might help if I had a full blown version of xp instead of the upgrade cd which what I was going to use on my windows 98.

Do you know anyone who has formatted/repartitioned window 7?

Just wondering if there are any technological idiosyncrasies that one may not be aware of...............