Find the answer to your Linux question:
How do I completely remove my current Linux distro(FC2) to make way for another distro? I am stuck....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Remove Partiton+OS

How do I completely remove my current Linux distro(FC2) to make way for another distro?

I am stuck.

You can Fdisk (Linux, not DOS) or shred from one of the live CD distros.

Quote Originally Posted by zeeone
    You don't even need fdisk. Just tell the installer of whatever distro you choose to format the partition(s).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeone
    You don't even need fdisk. Just tell the installer of whatever distro you choose to format the partition(s).

yes you can do that also, but in most cases that will leave the Home partition intact. If you realy want to blank the HD, after doing the above, then use DOS fdisk and reformat for FAT32 then you will get a clean install.

Just Joined!
    I just want to get rid of the Linux partition. I have a windows 98se boot disk, so can I use that to get rid of the grub boot loader?
    With FC2, it wouldn't let me reformat the partitions from the installer, so I just set the partition to 250mb.

I dont want to harm my Win98Se partition which is on another HDD newayz.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannicide
    I just want to get rid of the Linux partition. I have a windows 98se boot disk, so can I use that to get rid of the grub boot loader?
    With FC2, it wouldn't let me reformat the partitions from the installer, so I just set the partition to 250mb.

I dont want to harm my Win98Se partition which is on another HDD newayz.
    I'm not sure that you can get rid of Linux partitons using a 98SE boot disk as they might not be recognised.

The tool I use for partition management is cfdisk. I think it's common on a lot of distros although I've only had experience of Knoppix and Slackware. It's got an easy to use interface so it's great for the beginners.

If you want to change your boot loader (which should be in the MBR), then install your new distro in the partitions you've formatted/created and run the boot loader of your choice. It should then recognise any OSs on your system. I did that when I set up LILO.

Linux Enthusiast
    FC2 should have let you reformat any of the partitions- did you select custom install? That's neccessary for accessing the full partition utility in the installer.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050