Find the answer to your Linux question:
Wonder if anyone can help me with this. I have an old machine limited to 8.4 GB HD size. Now I can get it to boot using the HD utilites ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Large Hard Disk support in Linux

Wonder if anyone can help me with this. I have an old machine limited to 8.4 GB HD size. Now I can get it to boot using the HD utilites disk/Ontrack,
    unfortunately, it only lists Windows support (Fat 16/32). As I'm new to Linux is there a simple way of using a Large HD with Linux on my system.

P.S. Needless to say I can't find a ( free ) BIOS update for it, if anyone knows of a compatible one the system is a DIGITAL VENTURIS FX 5133.

Thanks in advance

Linux User
    what do ya wanna do? so u wanna install linux on yr 8 G HD, right? Famous distros like RedHat or Mandrake all come with partition tools, you could use them to partition yr HD for Linux installation, please read the installation guide docs on www.redhat.com. I think Linux's kernel supports over 100G of HDs. and well Ram it supports will surprise u.

U should go to the vender's site to see if u could get a new version of the bios, why not buy a new motherboard? Even the cheapest one will do.

Regards
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Just Joined!

For Skyfolly

Thanks, I'll try that.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    yeah, support for larger hard drives is great in linux.

Just Joined!

For yowwww

Thanks. It makes sense what with Linux's support for old hardware but large disk requirements that it would, but as a new user I wasn't sure.
    Great guide BTW.

Linux Guru
    Just be sure to create a boot partition, or the boot loader will most likely not work. I know for sure that Linux supports 120GB disks because I'm using one in my home directory server, and I'd be surprised if it would stop anywhere below 500 GB

Just Joined!

For Dolda2000

Thanks.