Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I currently have JoliOS installed alongside Windows 7 Ultimate on a Toshiba Satellite E205-S1904. 4 gb ram, 500 gb internal (1 partition per OS), Core i5. JoliOS runs great. Say ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Problems booting certain distros

I currently have JoliOS installed alongside Windows 7 Ultimate on a Toshiba Satellite E205-S1904. 4 gb ram, 500 gb internal (1 partition per OS), Core i5.

JoliOS runs great. Say what you want about it as an OS, but the point is it installs and boots fine. Every other distro I've ever attempted to boot has failed. Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, Peppermint Linux, opensuse, all from USB keys or Live CDs. All of them stop before booting at a screen which looks like this:
    i.imgur . (com) /azqlQ.jpg
    Sorry for the cell phone quality but I can't exactly take a screencap. And it won't let me post a link/embed it due to having just joined here.

What can I do to get other distros to boot/install? Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Hello and Welcome to the Forums.
    I think the problem can be circumvented at boot time. With a little ACPI=off command. Which distro did you use for that screenshot?
    Fix for ACPI=OFF Boot Option - Linux Mint Community
    That link tells you how to use the acpi=off command and explains some of the problems you might face in doing so
    I added the screenshot for you.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 04-19-2011 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Added screenshot
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for adding the screen.

That was using Linux Mint. Same thing happened with each though. I initially wanted to install fedora and made a key with unetbootin and after getting that issue i tried a few more and none would work.

Thanks for the link, I'll try it in a sec and report back. After install, those steps will reenable my fan and everything, correct?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by joestrouth1 View Post
    Thanks for adding the screen.

That was using Linux Mint. Same thing happened with each though. I initially wanted to install fedora and made a key with unetbootin and after getting that issue i tried a few more and none would work.

Thanks for the link, I'll try it in a sec and report back. After install, those steps will reenable my fan and everything, correct?
    That is what the link says......use your best judgment...if it seems to be getting hot or the fans don't seem to be working, don't run it.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Proud to say I'm now running Linux Mint. Thanks a lot. Wish I had joined and asked sooner, I gave up on this whole process a few months back when I couldn't find an answer to the issue. Can't tell you how happy I am even though this is probably such a simple thing to the more experienced people here

Just Joined!
    Okay, back. Hate to double post myself but I've got issues.

None of the FN keys work. I've done some package searching and googling but fnfx does not help me. I have a Toshiba Satellite. I get the error:

FnFX Daemon v0.3 (c) 2003, 2004 Timo Hoenig <thoenig@nouse.net>

fatal error: Could open /proc/acpi/toshiba/keys.

Please make sure that your kernel has enabled the Toshiba option in the ACPI section.
    For more information read the documentation and/or fnfx.sf.net/index.php?section=doc#kernel.

And of course, the link is dead. And based on what I'm getting, I think it has something to do with those boot conditions that I put in from the link you gave me. This is preventing me from turning down my brightness from max, power manager detecting my battery, and all sorts of other issues. Is there anything I can do?

Did you try the other options the guy talked about in that link or did you only use acpi=off?

Just Joined!
    I did the rest of what he said as well. After install i opened up grub in terminal, changed the parameters he said to, saved it and updated it. Now when I reboot, it won't boot at all. Same issue as before. To boot at all it has to be acpi=off.

Ok, the last thing I would attempt if I were you...is to try updating the BIOS. If there is a BIOS update available it might solve all your problems. You might look in the BIOS and see if there is some settings you might change for ACPI and or APIC. You might also try the nolapic instead of acpi=off....there is a difference in the two but I can't really explain it. See if it works.

Just Joined!
    I've looked. Just checked again, still got the latest BIOS installed. I'll check BIOS setup when I reboot here in a little bit and see what I can find.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast