Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to figure out how to manage sound (specifically volume) in text only mode. I have tried installing both aumixer and alsamixer but was not able to get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Managing sound in text only mode

I am trying to figure out how to manage sound (specifically volume) in text only mode. I have tried installing both aumixer and alsamixer but was not able to get either to work. Probably user error, but I'm not sure if either will work without a gui running. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am running an HP Pavilion DV7 with Mint Julia 64 bit in text only mode.

Alsamixer ought to work and does not require a GUI.

Can you be more specific when you say you were not able to get it to work? What did you try? What happened? Any error messages you can post?

oz
    forum.guy
    I always adjust sound levels from a console using alsamixer and it works great. Be sure you've installed alsa-utils, then run alsaconf, then alsamixer, and then alsactl store to save your settings.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Great Tips. I was not able to get it to do anything, but I did not do the ...conf, ...mixer, ...store routine so that was probably my problem. Wanted to weigh in with some users before I spent too much time trying to figure it out. I will give it a shot tonight and see how it goes.

Worked perfectly! Thanks for your help.