Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Were eth0 and eth1 actually spelled with uppercase letters or did you just type it that way? If they were, then that's really, really strange. Anyway, it seems that eth0 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Were eth0 and eth1 actually spelled with uppercase letters or did you just type it that way? If they were, then that's really, really strange.

Anyway, it seems that eth0 is an ordinary NIC in your computer. Do you have a such installed? It does have a registered IRQ line and base IO address, something which USB devices don't have in that way.
    What happens if you try to configure eth1 manually, ie. setting a static IP address with ifconfig and adding routing information and so?

Linux Enthusiast
    yes, I put in the caps and a blank to make the devices more discernable as different.
    There is a pci ethernet in the system that I mentioned earlier on in this thread that I got for free. The internet works fine with that when I configure it.
    I do not use a static ip, I use dhcp.
    I haven't tried to configure the usb adapter manually, I have configured it thru vasm and it said everything was fine. When it boots up it says it can't find the module for eth1:
    Code:
    modprobe: can't locate module eth1
    I didn't have the device plugged in at the time but I think this comes up all the time since I tried using the usb adapter before.
    Maybe I need to load the modules using vasm? I am not sure how to do that though, if so.

Linux Guru
    Have you added an alias for eth1 to the driver's name in /etc/modules.conf?

Actually, I don't really remember how to make hotpluggable network cards work properly. Last time I had to configure it was when I configured my PCMCIA WLAN card, which was quite some time ago, but I'm guessing that you'll still need an alias.

Linux Enthusiast
    hmm, nope didn't check for that or think of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2