Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I installed Vector Linux on an old box of mine. I like it so much as an alternative to win 98 on old boxes that I ordered a retail copy. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

help getting internet working in Vector with usb ethernet

I installed Vector Linux on an old box of mine. I like it so much as an alternative to win 98 on old boxes that I ordered a retail copy.

I am using a netgear usb ethernet adapter. It then connects to my router. I have used this before on win 98 and I know it works fine. Anyway, when I run the network configuration in Vector, it seems to detect everything fine, or so it says. When I start the system it even makes note of the fact that it needs the module for it and starts it up. I then log in and can't connect to the internet. I can't even ping my router.
    I was able to use the ifconfig command and it produced this:

Code:
    Link encap:Logical Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0  Mask 255.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436  Metric:1
    RX packets:0  errors:0  dropped:0  overruns:0  frame:0
    TX packets:0  errors:0  dropped:0  overruns:0  carrier:0
    collisions:0  tuxqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes (0.0 b)
    also, when I run /sbin/lspci, it shows my usb controller so I know it recognizes my usb.

thanks in advance, if I can get internet working, it will be all set.

Linux Enthusiast
    ok, I ran vasm in user mode with root privs and I seemed to have more options - where I can put in my IP address, but it still doesn't seem to work.

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure that I understand your setup correctly. First, as I understand it, you say that your ethernet adapter is connected to your router, right? Then you say stuff about your USB controller on your computer, and I don't really understand how that would be related to anything in that case.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    I was merely pointing out that my hardware was supported.
    It doesn't matter at this point cause I picked up an old nic and now it works fine, but I would still like to know why it wasn't working with my usb ethernet adapter.

Linux Guru
    Well, if that USB adapter was connected directly to the computer, it's pretty obvious: you didn't have a driver for it.

Linux Enthusiast
    yeah, I was thinking that (and I had downloaded but not installed the driver I found that might work with it), but what was the "kaweth" info that was displayed right before I logged in? Was that just loading the modules? That seemed to be directly related to the usb adapter cause when I unplugged it, it stopped coming up.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by yowwww
    but what was the "kaweth" info that was displayed right before I logged in?
    What do you mean by that? "kaweth"? Could you elaborate a bit on that?
    I do understand your setup now, btw. I was just a bit stupid before. Anyway, what does lsusb return about the adapter (it has to be run as root)?

Linux Enthusiast
    well, when I booted up when I had the usb adapter connected, instead of getting the login screen, it would show me this:

Code:
    kaweth.c: Firmware present in device
    kaweth.c: Statistics collection: 13fbffff
    kaweth.c: Multicast filter limit: 00
    kaweth.c: MTU: 1514
    kaweth.c: Read MAC address (my mac address)
    kaweth.c: kaweth interface created at eth0
    then I can log in. I think it is loading the modules necessary to use the device but I am not sure on that. It could be the driver. When I researched the driver information for the adapter I did find a driver and it was called: "kaweth-0.2.3.tar.gz" so maybe it was the actual driver that was loaded. This is what confused me because I couldn't figure out whether the driver and necessary files were already loaded (in which case I didn't want to add anything that would screw it up) or whether it was just the modules and I needed to add the driver.

Hmmm, I just reconnected it and I got some answers..

Code:
    localhost login: usb.c: registered new driver kaweth
    kaweth.c: Downloading firmware...
    kaweth.c: Firmware loaded. I'll be backl...
    usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:0f .2-1 address 2
    hub.c: new USB device 00:0f .2-1, assigned address 3
    kaweth.c: Firmware present in device.
    kaweth.c: Stattistics Collection: 13fbffff
    kaweth.c Multicast filter: 00
    kaweth.c: MTU: 1514
    kaweth.c: Read MAC address (my mac address)
    kaweth.c kaweth interface created at eth1
    I don't recall seeing this exact info before. So I guess the driver is installed. "lsusb does not return anything - command not found. I also tried /sbin/lsusb and it said no such file or directory. Maybe it's different cuz it is Vector and therefore based on Slack.
    I booted into Vector and used "vasm" to configure the ethernet.
    Question: when it says it is trying to configure eth0 by contacting a DHCP server it just sits there (how do I skip that process during boot?) I want to know how to do it while it is on the screen. Also, why is it trying to find eth0 when it told me that the kaweth interface is at eth1?
    There are two things to configure in vasm: network and gateway. The weird thing about the gateway is that it asks me for the IP of the vector computer, but not for the gateway of my router. I am thinking that maybe this is for use of creating a firewall or server out of the vector computer.

Also when I reboot it said it couldn't locate module for eth1. Does this mean that the driver is loaded for the device but that the module is not loaded?

I know that I need to find some files to download to be able to use my printer that is attached to it. They are Apsfilt.tgz, ghostscr.tgz and gsfonts.tgz but when I go to the ftp they tell me to, it doesn't exist. It was ftp://ftp.ibiblio.... Vector Linux wasn't even in the distribution list. I noticed that on one of their sites they said something was down so maybe it has been removed.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, well, it seems like it's loading the driver and functioning correctly. Maybe it has a strange/incomplete interface naming code? What does ifconfig -a return?

Linux Enthusiast
    alright, this was annoying to type out, cuz for some reason I can't copy and paste in aterm...

Code:
    ifconfig -a
    ETH0
    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr (looks like a mac address)
    BROADCAST MULTICAST:  MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX Packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overrun:0 frame:0
    TX Packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overrun:0 carrier:16
    collisions:136 txqueulen:100
    RX bytes:0  (0.0 b)  TX bytes: 4720  (4.6kb)
    Interrupt:9 Base Address:0xfce0

ETH1
    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr (looks like a mac address- this one is different than the top one)
    BROADCAST MULTICAST:  MTU:1500 Metric:1
    TX Packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overrun:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueulen:100
    RX bytes:0  (0.0 b)  TX bytes: 0  (0.0 b)

lo
    Link encap:Local Loopback
    Inet Addr:127.0.0.1 Mask 255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    TX Packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overrun:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueulen:0
    RX bytes:0  (0.0 b)  TX bytes: 0  (0.0 b)
    I hope I copied all that correctly, I used some copy and paste to save some time.

Also, is there a way to skip looking for dhcp or eth during the boot up manually? Is there a key combo that can be pressed to bypass it instead of waiting for a long time?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast