Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I need some advice. I have been trying to help a customer and normally I have dealt with xp, vista or windows 7 but for the first time ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Ubuntu reinstallation

Hi everyone, I need some advice. I have been trying to help a customer and normally I have dealt with xp, vista or windows 7 but for the first time today is saw Ubuntu. I will speak as though it's my computer. The pc has Ubuntu installed on it but there are no original disks available. If this system crashes does anyone know where I can get a reinstallation disk for Ubuntu or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

I heard something about how you can install Ubuntu from a memory stick? I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by advxc153 View Post
    If this system crashes does anyone know where I can get a reinstallation disk for Ubuntu or am I barking up the wrong tree here?
    You can check for Ubuntu downloads here:

Download | Ubuntu

Download the iso file you want, and burn it to disk as an image, then you'll have your Ubuntu installation disk. They'll also send you one free of charge if you ask for it on their website.
    oz

There are literally hundreds of linux distributions, Ubunto being only one of them, the most popular one. You can go to distrowatch.com and see the others. The distro's are downloadable for free. You burn them as an ISO CD/DVD and set your computer to boot from CD/DVD, put the disk in and reboot your computer. The ISO will give you the option to run as a live CD/DVD, or to install. If you choose to install, it will ask you if you want to install as the only system, or along side of another OS. From there, just follow the install guide. If you have any problems give us a shout and someone will be happy to help you further. Ubuntu just had a new release (Ubuntu 11.04), it is the most current, but, 10.04 is a Long term support release. You can answer many linux questions by using this search site: <Linux> - Google Search. One version or another of linux can operate on just about any computer, including some really old ones that you can't get running with a windows version curently available and supported.
    Registered Linux user #526930

If you go about burning a CD for it, make sure not to mark it as bootable. The burning process will take care of that for you.