Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want a shared documents partition for my Fedora and Windows 7 installations. I tried ext3 in the past, with bad results, and I'm currently using NTFS. But it refused ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Windows/Fedora shared filesystem?

I want a shared documents partition for my Fedora and Windows 7 installations. I tried ext3 in the past, with bad results, and I'm currently using NTFS. But it refused to put the NTFS partition as /home in the installer, so I had to go and manually edit /etc/fstab, and I think I messed it up a bit ^_^;

Are there any other filesystems I could use (aside from FAT - there are going to be a lot of files >4GB)?

Or could someone give me an idea of what it should look like if I have /dev/sda5 mounted to /home in fstab?

Thanks

Linux Newbie
    Create the partition (NTFS) to share from within Windows. Reboot to Fedora and install 'ntfs-3g' from Fedora's repo, then create an entry in /etc/fstab to mount the partition with your username permission. Here's my /etc/fstab entry for my WinXP partiton, as an example:

Code:
     /dev/sda1	/mnt/winxp	ntfs-3g	noauto,users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8	0	0
    In the above example, the mount point '/mnt/winxp' is where the WinXP partition is mounted and accessed from within my Linux distro.

The example partition could be mounted from the terminal:
    Code:
     sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/winxp
    Or, as an alternative, the 'noauto' flag in the above fstab entry can be changed to 'auto' to automount the WinXP partition when logging in to Linux.