Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks! Well basically, when I boot my computer and choose in my bios to boot my hard drive it gives the error: Code: error: unknown filesystem grub rescue> I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thanks!

Well basically, when I boot my computer and choose in my bios to boot my hard drive it gives the error:

Code:
    error: unknown filesystem
    grub rescue>
    I can type things into this and I tried the command ls, this returned the following:

Code:
    (hd0) (hd0 msdos6) (hd0 msdos5) (hd0 msdos4) (hd0 msdos3) (hd0 msdos2) (hd0 msdos1)
    When I tried the command "ls hd0" (or any of the others) it said unknown file system. So I think this means that the GRUB installation is corrupt but what grub installation is it? I think it must be different to the one that is found when I use the supergrub2disk.

How would I find which installation it is and maybe replace it with the other one??

Thanks,
    Cameron

Linux User
    if you tried 'ls hd0' , that is not the correct command. Link posted by yancek post #10 , go down to 'Command Line and Rescue Mode' will tell you how.

Linux Guru
    You indicate that your boot partition is on sda7 so the command for grub to display the contents of the /boot directory would be: ls (hd0,7)/boot

The output of ls alone should show partitions recognized by Grub and as you can see, your sda7 (hd0,7) partition is not listed in your output.

I would go to the link I posted earlier and read the section suggested by LostFarmer.

Just Joined!
    I tried this too [ls (hd0,3)/boot] and many other commands and it returned the same error. When I tried (hd0,7) it said that the filesystem could not be found. I still don't think this is helping though because I think I am using the wrong grub installation. I can load the grub image it's just that it is not being loaded when I boot the system, I think it's booting to the wrong one.

Is this a possibility?

Thanks,
    Cameron

Linux Guru
    I tried this too [ls (hd0,3)/boot]
    That obviously won't work as (hd0,3) is a windows partition.

think I am using the wrong grub installation. I
    You installed Ubuntu 10 which uses Grub2. You posted that you are using the SuperGrub2disk. Where would another Grub come from?

I think your problems come from having a separate /boot partition. There are valid reasons for doing this but, with a system as simple as yours, I can't see any reason and it complicates the installation, particularly for someone who is new to the process. You don't need any complications.

Have you yet run the blkid command to compare uuids for sda6 and sda7 with your fdisk output?
    Have you mounted sda6 and/or sda7 to see where the kernel (vmlinuz) file is actually located?
    Have you tried reinstalling Grub to the mbr?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2