Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm using a Synology NAS which uses EXT4 as filesystem, my pc is a Windows XP. After a power outage, the external attached disk showed file system as unknown. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

EXT4 recovery

Hi,

I'm using a Synology NAS which uses EXT4 as filesystem, my pc is a Windows XP. After a power outage, the external attached disk showed file system as unknown. However, I was able to run a tool named "UFS Explorer Standard Recovery - version 4.9.1" which shows me all the files. Now I woud like to recover this EXT4-system instead of copying over all data and format it (the easy way).
    I don't know the right tools for it, if necessary I can dual boot with Ubuntu and execute Linux-commands, no problem.
    However, I do hope my HP 8530p laptop will be supported by a Linux-distribution then (for example Ubuntu?).

Thanks for your input.
    J.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Partition recovery can be done using testdisk.

A number of live linux systems have it available by default, including Parted Magic and SystemRescueCd.

Just Joined!

Try this for a badly behaving hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by janhoedt View Post
    Hi,

I'm using a Synology NAS which uses EXT4 as filesystem, my pc is a Windows XP. After a power outage, the external attached disk showed file system as unknown. However, I was able to run a tool named "UFS Explorer Standard Recovery - version 4.9.1" which shows me all the files. Now I woud like to recover this EXT4-system instead of copying over all data and format it (the easy way).
    I don't know the right tools for it, if necessary I can dual boot with Ubuntu and execute Linux-commands, no problem.
    However, I do hope my HP 8530p laptop will be supported by a Linux-distribution then (for example Ubuntu?).

Thanks for your input.
    J.
    Open up a text terminal. Type in "fsck" /dev/??, and follow the directions when asked a question. It should find the disk errors if any, and correct it. If it's scrambled software, in a good disk, this command will not help you. You will need another means to correct that.