Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I just purchased a new Motherboard due to my old one dying. I decided to buy a Intel Core 2 Duo CPU this time round and that needed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Help Pls - New M/B, OS does not see Network and only 50Gb of 500Gb H/D

Hi All,
    I just purchased a new Motherboard due to my old one dying.
    I decided to buy a Intel Core 2 Duo CPU this time round and that needed a new board.
    I brought a Asus P5G41T-M LX as well as 2Gb of DDR3 Memory.

I was able to install the OS Application from the Software source for the application I need to run, this being CentOS 5.5 64 bit.
    I have this application running on 3 other PC's being a little older, so I know all works.

I can't use another OS as the OS and the application are built together and installed as one package. But as I said it works with my other 3.

However after the install it cannot find the Network card so no internet to find any update drivers or just OS updates.
    I also noticed that the main H/D which is a 500Gb is only showing that 50Gb has been partitioned, so 450Gb is missing somewhere. It also has a 1Tb H/D on the 2nd, and it sees this fully.
    I have used on the other PC's larger H/D's to 120Gb and it saw the whole drive, so confused why it would not see this one. All are SATA drives on all PC's.

I have been to the ASUS website, they do list 1 file for linux so will try that, but it's only 5Mb so don't know whats in there.

I am still searching, but if anyone is able to assist I'd be grateful to get this PC working.

Regards Kevin.

Just Joined!
    Did you enable your on board network chip in the Bios? If you have a LiveCD laying around try it and see if the chip is enabled and you have internet service. As for the missing 450G try GParted or the Drive Utility you have with CentOS to create and format the remaining 450G. It should show up as Unallocated space.

Just Joined!
    Hi, Thanks for your advise.
    The CD that came with the M/B is only for Windows, so this won't help. I have checked on the Bios and the Network is on, by default. I have been told to try a NIC and see if I can get that going. Have one in my box of spares so will try that. Didn't want to go that way as the M/B only has 2x PCI slots and one is already used.
    As for the lost H/D space I found it, for some reason the application install which also did the OS install only partitiioned 25Gb of the main drive, the rest was left free. I have since activated the rest, all 500Gb is now available.
    It was just a matter of looking at the disk usage.

I learnt something new today, will it stay up there, who knows.
    Still trying, I might even get that one too.

Regards Kevin.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    You may have to load the correct network module and set up the network again.
    Like Basie says, try booting with one of the live distros and see what it gives for the network connection.
    If you prefer, centos does a live cd distro you can use.

Just Joined!
    the command (as root)
    $ lspci
    should show you the NIC. Mine gives (edited):
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
    0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)
    This tells me I need drivers that support the Broadcom devices...

Let us know what you get.